Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLooking to Buy - Event Date: 07 Nov 2014

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Looking to Buy
    Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 6:27pm
Hi I have been reading up on this forum and a couple others. Thanks for all the great info. I am looking to get our first TT. We had a popup for years but time to move up, still young at heart but... As I read about all the campers it seems like leaks are the biggest issue across them all. The second observation is that folks seem to change campers based on differing needs / wants within 5 years. I think we have narrowed our choices down to the R-pods or Livin Lite. I think there are two big differences one is cost and second is no wood to be damaged on Livin Lite. My thought is both can have leaks but LL will have less long term issues. However the cost if you were to trade the LL after 3 to 5 years seems to me to be much more than the R-pod if you were to trade after 3 to 5 years. Was looking for thoughts on 1. How much of an issue leaks have been for you and if that impacts the way the r-pods age, and 2. Any thoughts on trade value proposition either way? Thanks for any input in advance.      
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 6:40pm
We owned our 172 for over 4 years now and have not had a leak of any kind. As far as trade in value I don't know and I don't care, cause our 172 will do us very well until we don't camp anymore.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 8:14pm
   I think the r-pods having a fiberglass roof helps in not having damage from water leaking into it. But I think there has been a couple r-pods that I can remember that have had a problem but it is very unlikely. With all campers including the r-pod they need to be inspected and need preventive maintenance. We never had a problem with our r-pod for the five years we owned it.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 9:00pm
We have had our RP-172 about the same amount of time as Marwayne, a 2011 model. We have never had a leak anywhere. I think the one piece fiberglass sheet top is a good feature. As stated earlier I think regular maintenance is key. Every spring and fall I inspect where the top meets the sides to check out the condition of the silicone. So far the only water problems we ever had was the first time we kept the pod closed up tight in cold weather and due to the tightness of the Pod the windows sweat on the inside. Easy cure, crack the windows about 1/4th of a inch and run the fantastic fan on low. No Leaks, No Squeeks, No problem.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
NormanHill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 10:58pm
Too soon for me to know about leaks on the rPod for us, But I have owned a couple of other TTs and didn't have leaks. I know Three trailers are a small sampling but I wonder how big a problem leaks really are if you maintain the caulking. I'd focus on other things like how well it fits your needs, do you like the way it looks, do you have a vehicle that can tow it, etc. One of our dilemmas was balancing the TT we wanted to camp in for a week vs the TT we wanted to tow several hundred miles. 
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2014 at 7:25am
Livin Lite is built for light weight , strength, and lasting a long time, according to their advertisement. If I could afford a VRV or AXXESS toy hauler, that would be the camper I would have. But for my immediate needs, almost any small camper fits the bill for me. I was drawn to the R-Pod because of the amenities offered, similar to larger campers and also the really large fresh tank for it's size, and it's low prive ( I paid about $13,600 new with all options ) .

I have had no external leaks, or other serious issues in two years of using it (about 10 trips, 4000 miles). My only small warranty issue was a leaky water tank gasket when new, which was fixed with a new gasket. I think it's like anything else, determine the needs to be met, your Tow Vehicle capabilities,  and shop what's available within a reasonable driving distance.

Personally , I would LOVE to have a LANCE 2212 Toy hauler, but at about $50K, a bit out of reach.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
DaveS View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2014 at 10:18am
Thanks for the thoughtful reply's! The towing situation is definitely a factor we have to figure out as well. We are very much interested in the CL DB16 with tipout or the rpod 178. The CL dry weight 2750 but assume with options probably a couple hundred pound more. The Pod dry weight is 2535. Our tow vehicle is a Toyota Venza with the tow package. It is rated for 3500lbs. GVWR is 5270 and GCWR is 8770. So I know we are tight especially on the CL16DB. Would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2014 at 10:56am
We had a 171 for almost 6 years and had no leak and we would leave our outside through the northeast kingdom winters. Never had a leak. We recently upgraded to a 179 and got $10,000 in trade for our 171 that we paid $13+ for when we bought it in 2009.
I don't know the LL trailer but am very happy with the two R-pods we have had
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply