R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2015 RP-178 Shelf Over Bed w/ Baskets Mod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2015 RP-178 Shelf Over Bed w/ Baskets Mod
    Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 10:37am
Originally posted by podgirl

Hello Podster,

I have the 176 and that looks like the same amount of room over the bed/dining in mine. Question: I purchased that shelf and am trying to decide how far back to place it. Trying to decide whether to leave it open above your head while watching tv or not? How many inches from the slope of the wall did you leave? Thanks so much.

Podgirl

Howdy Podgirl!

I don't know how many inches it is and my POD has been put away in storage for the winter, so it may be later that I can measure, maybe this weekend. That said, I really think the best thing you can do is place the shelf, temporarily, into position so you can try different angles and uses before you commit to a perm install. This is where all the real work is...take some time and figure out a way to support the shelf with shims, tape, blocks, whatever you can to keep it into position so you can give it a spin so you can experience the cause and effect of the mounting position, to include how it will be mounted. Load with whatever you will use it for, baskets, clothes, towels. If needed simulate this by using cardboard to lighten the load while testing. Once you get it into position check the views and head clearances and adjust accordingly. This can be a bit time consuming and a little frustrating, but worth it in the end. Smile  
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Larry158 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 10:53am
Since the shelf was installed away from the roof line to allow for the insertion of the baskets - where were the L brackets installed?
Thnaks Larry158
podgirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 11:37am
Hello again Podster,

You are right my friend. I currently have it resting on top of the cornice boards. I'm going to try and see if Michaels still has those baskets. I like my pod, just got to get some organization. Thanks for your reply and wishing you and family a happy Thanksgiving!

Podgirl
Sally
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Larry158

Since the shelf was installed away from the roof line to allow for the insertion of the baskets - where were the L brackets installed?
Thnaks Larry158

I removed the valence and the top of the sliding blind (cornice board?) so I could place front L bracket behind the metal part of the blind, it is also resting on top of the aluminum frame of the window. The metal part of the blind is re-installed over the L bracket. The back L bracket is lower because I wanted to have a slight angle down in back to help keep them in place. 

The location is ideal for me because my baskets clear but don't touch the rear roof wall and when standing next to the bed the shelf sits back far enough to not be an issue. Also, no problem getting into our out of bed, even crawling over. Dropping the rear some helped me get the clearance I wanted without having to move the shelf forward. 

Getting the valence off and back on is kinda tricky, Good luck Sir!

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
Larry158 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 12:58pm
Cliff & Raelynn,
Thank you very much for your response. I look forward to implemneting yur idea in  the spring.
Larry158
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by podgirl

Hello Podster...How many inches from the slope of the wall did you leave? Thanks so much. Podgirl

I finally got a change to measure. The distance from the back of the shelf to the back of the wall 9ΒΌ". Smile
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
podgirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 8:25pm
Thank you Podster. I got a new Dewalt drill and will be getting with the installation soon. Thanks so much for taking the time to measure.

Podgirl
Sally
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 8:35pm
Good luck with your project! Looking forward to your mod pics!
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
Larry158 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 3:31pm
Cliff & Raelynn,
Thank you for the measurement. Cant wait for the spring thaw to add that mod to my new 178.
Larry158
JStrube View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 12:16pm
So how do you get the blind cover thing off?  I looked at it & it seems it is held on with screws to the brackets, is this right?  Most house blinds are held on with clip things.  Thanks!
2012 181G
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>