R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2015 RP-178 Shelf Over Bed w/ Baskets Mod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2015 RP-178 Shelf Over Bed w/ Baskets Mod
    Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 2:54pm
On our last trip we tried out the ole shelf over the bed with baskets mod so many other podders have done. Cost was about $110.00. It offers plenty of room for 4 real nice sized baskets to hold clothes and access is very user friendly. I will say that the mod is probably at least a 5 out of 10 for level of difficulty. Like many others, we found the perfect shelf at Lowes, the finish basically matches the bathroom door perfectly. The baskets were a little harder to find but we got lucky at Michael's with a 50% off sale. WARNING to people who do not normally buy baskets...prepare for sticker shock! Good baskets are expensive! No more digging in duffles for socks for us! YAY!

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 5:18pm
Is the shelf you found solid or not?  do you have a part number from Lowes?  How does one attach it to the walls?  I just got my rpod so if this has been discussed, sorry, or send me reference. 

Thanks
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 7:57pm
This post has a little more information about the mod: 177 MODS  

I used 3" L brackets. The shelf is part of a closet storage system, sorry...I don't know the part number. The trick was finding the right location for the shelf vs the type of baskets to be used. 

I'm real happy with the way it looks and the functionality. It's like having the space equivalent of a small 4 drawer dresser. 

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 8:40pm
Cliff: Outstanding! Hope you won't mind if I shamelessly copy your good idea! And Lowe's, BTW, has a decent selection of baskets. We're leaning toward wicker-styled plastic ones rather than the actual wicker.  I'm a little concerned that the real wicker might snag my "dainty unmentionables". LOL

And John in Idaho:  Here's a link to a Roth & Allen shelf at Lowe's that sure looks like Podster's.  Hope it helps.  The shelf is 6' long.  The width of our Pods is ~6'2". So, it looks like it could get some support from the window valance plus additional from the 3" L-brackets Podster mentioned.  I'm thinking some 1x4" cedar (or whatever) might make a good shim at each end.  Would mean a little less weight on the valances.  Anyway, I'm thinking out loud. Sorry.

John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 8:58pm
Have at it John, I copied the idea myself. Thanks for the assist.
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 9:04pm
Really nice set up!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 7:12am
Originally posted by Luv2Q

I'm a little concerned that the real wicker might snag my "dainty unmentionables". LOL

Not a problem here, the baskets we purchased are lined on the inside. Smile
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 8:27am
That's a relief! You can't imagine what wicker splinters in your shorts will do.

I meant to ask: Did you position the shelf so that it's up against the sloped wall? Or would that rob too much shelf space? But .. being up against the wall would allow a couple of the wall clips - or a rail - to be used for mid-span support.  What to do, what to do??
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 9:29am
Originally posted by Luv2Q

I meant to ask: Did you position the shelf so that it's up against the sloped wall? Or would that rob too much shelf space? But .. being up against the wall would allow a couple of the wall clips - or a rail - to be used for mid-span support.  What to do, what to do??

The baskets fit perfectly onto the width of the shelf, sitting inside the given channel to keep them from shifting. The shelf has to be forward of the rear roof to allow for clearance of the back of the baskets. 
I positioned the shelf just far enough back to allow the baskets to clear the sloping roof. Admittedly, it's light duty but should be fine. If it fails, I will extend the length of the self to the full 74" (well 73.5") and install a rail for it to sit on. We travel with the baskets loaded sitting on the bed and when we camp, we place them on the shelf. 

I found the wicker baskets at Lowe's to be very "sheddy" and ruled them out because I didn't want to load the bed with sticky itchy wicker wickets. 

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
podgirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 9:56am
Hello Podster,

I have the 176 and that looks like the same amount of room over the bed/dining in mine. Question: I purchased that shelf and am trying to decide how far back to place it. Trying to decide whether to leave it open above your head while watching tv or not? How many inches from the slope of the wall did you leave? Thanks so much.

Podgirl
Sally
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>