R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed$3000 for extended warranty in Canada - Event Date: 13 Dec 2014

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: $3000 for extended warranty in Canada
    Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 6:44pm
New to the forum and excited about getting a new R pod 177.  I'm in Cochrane Alberta Canada and am looking at getting a new one from a local dealer.  The quote was for $3000 for an extra 6 years of warranty on all the moving essentials within the unit.  This seems steep, but apparently when the fridge or the slider goes it can be around that amount.  The reviews of the service department at this dealership aren't great but they don't seem to be great anywhere.  I figure more people post negative than positive anyways.  Reading on the forum, most decline the extended warranty at 1/3 the quote I got.  Any remarks?  Especially Canadian? Can you get the extra Forest River Coverage in Canada?

dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 9:02pm
I have a 2011 RP-172 and I did buy the extended warranty on the 4 way refrig as I know they can be expensive to repair or replace, however I have not had one warranty repair done since I purchased it new. I don't have a slide ad that may be a factor but so far, so good. Good luck. I think I would escrow the 3k back toward any repairs and I think you will come out ahead. I think the extended warranty on the fridge was around 120 dollars and so far so good.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 11:07pm
Welcome.  That sounds high for a bumper-to-bumper.  Someone here recently bought a similar package, hopefully they can chime in with their cost.  The extra year coverage from Forest River I believe is $150.

They are overselling the costs of the major repairs to make a sale.  For instance, it would be very unusual to replace the entire fridge, but even if you had to it would be under $1000 including labor.  Most of the major issues will be worked out in the first year under the factory warranty.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 7:50am
$3000.00 seems a bit crazy to me. In October we purchased a Protective Xtra Ride extended warranty package.

Towable-New. Platinum plan. Pretty much bumper to bumper including slide out, appliances, AV, etc.

72 month term (6 years). $100.00 deductible. Can transfer upon sale for $75.00.

Total contract plan: $657.00 plus tax.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 10:43am
physiodude, yes, you can get Forest River's (factory) second-year warranty in Canada, last I looked, it was $150 - it may be around $200 now.

And, yes, replacement appliances can cost well north of $1500 installed.

But, generally, if there's a problem with an appliance, it'll show up within the first 3 months of use.  Beyond the included one-year factory warranty, it'd be pretty rare.

Its up to you.  Risk is what insurance is all about.  Will you spend the equivalent of $3000 replacing faulty appliances in the first six years of ownership?  Honestly, I'd estimate maybe 1-2% of owners max would pay that much in warranty-able replacements.

And please, check the wording of the offered extended warranty carefully.  Is it replacement new, or is it pro-rated?  Can they replace with remanufactured/reconditioned equipment?  And what's covered?  Just manufacturing defects?  What about a power surge that blows your A/C (a far more likely event than a defect showing up in year three)?

Do some research on the company underwriting the warranty.  Do they have a good history of satisfied customers?

And, finally, the warranty will be virtually worthless if you don't trust the dealership doing the work... make sure that you're happy with the options of where you can have the trailer repaired.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 11:08am
Thanks, Fred, I knew that Platinum plan cost far, far less than $3k.  Even with a conversion fee $CDN-$US it will cost the OP far less.
physiodude View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 11:19am
I think I'll opt out.  The extra year from Forest River seems like a reasonable bet.  Thanks all for your thoughts.
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by physiodude

I think I'll opt out.  The extra year from Forest River seems like a reasonable bet.  Thanks all for your thoughts.

And don't forget you can buy separate extended warranties on just the fridge, ac and maybe other components directly from the mfr of those components.  In our case, we got the additional year from FR for $150 plus extended warranties from Dometic on the fridge & ac.
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2014 at 6:55am
How much were the warranties on the appliances?
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2014 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by techntrek

How much were the warranties on the appliances?

Roughly $170 each for 3 additional yrs.
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
 Post Reply Post Reply