Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Florida Keys
    Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 5:54am
Originally posted by techntrek

I'd bet that would be an area where Wal-Mart camping is outlawed...
As far as I know it is allowed but I was kidding. I would be concerned about security. You wouldn't be allowed to disconnect your camper and go site seeing with your TV. I often shop at the Walmart near the interstate and often there are RV's parked and some look like they have been there over night. Sam Walton said RV customers are some of there best customers. It would be nice if the Fort Myers area had more camp grounds there is not very many to chose from especially during the Winter season.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 2:53pm
No idea about Fort Myers and it's been several years since I was last in Key West (2009?) but then there were no Walmarts there.  And Sam Walton's feelings aside, I'd be willing to bet the government of Key West might have something to say about it.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

No idea about Fort Myers and it's been several years since I was last in Key West (2009?) but then there were no Walmarts there.  And Sam Walton's feelings aside, I'd be willing to bet the government of Key West might have something to say about it.

TT

Yup, it is outlawed in some areas by the local gov't, often in touristy areas, or in areas where local campgrounds have fought against the "free" camping.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
J&Jcf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 2:41pm
Ft Meyers has a city ordinace against staying overnight at walmarts. Been there and moved on late night. If you take route 41 thru Big cypress preserve there are a couple of campgrounds in the preserve 1)monument lake is first come/first serve $16 nite $8 nite golden access no hookups. Sewer dump is at the next campground which is 2) midway which is reservations only. If there is an open spot then one night is possible but don't count on it during winter season. Dump site and water available. No cost if you camp at either of these CG. There are some other rustic CG sites available in this preserve (Port a potty only available). The two campgrounds first mentioned have flush toilets .Midway campground has electric sites. I don't recall rates. Rustic sites use to be free but I heard the rates are the same as monuments now.

That night we were requested to move on from Walmart we ended up staying at the big cypress preserve visitors center/rest area on 41. It was late and in a pinch. Nobody bothered us. It has restrooms that were open 24 hours.
J. - 2011 rpod 171
Mainer-pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 10:11am
Yes, many Walmarts in FL prohibit overnight stays. Download Allstays RV app on your smartphone, it's a great resource for finding campgrounds an will also show Walmarts and other relevant sites. We will be at Jolly Roger in Marathon, too, first week of March, but reserved a couple months ago. 
Chuck & Lynn
2015 178
York, ME
2010 Tundra 5.7L 4x4
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 3:10pm
Always go in and ask management.  This is also one reason we prefer truck stops - they only exist where it is legal.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12