R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYam. Generator: opinions requested

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yam. Generator: opinions requested
    Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 7:57pm
It's a chilly, gloomy day here in TX, so I'm cruising the net on the hunt for an inverter genny.  Up pops this Yamaha EF2800iM: http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Yamaha-EF2800IM-Portable-Generator/p6733.html#q_a

I'm always looking for the best compromise as to - in this case - price, reliability, weight, power, noise. This one has me interested and so I wanted to hear what others think about it.
  • Power.  It's 2800/2500 so admittedly "on the edge" where running my 13,500 Dometic is concerned.
  • Price.  At around $1600, it's under the 2k+ for comparably-sized red gennies.
  • Noise.  At 60-67db, it's a little louder than the quietest gennies but not by much.
  • Weight.  68 lbs.  I can manage that by myself.  100+ for the Honda 3000 .. I'm not so sure.
  • Reliability.  It's a Yamaha.  Reds & blues sure get favorable reviews in this area.
So what do y'all think? I know this looks like a "construction" generator but seems like it could be a sweet spot, too.  I've chased down blind alleys before, though, so sure will appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks in advance, everybody. Smile
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 8:03am
Originally posted by Luv2Q

Noise.  At 60-67db, it's a little louder than the quietest gennies but not by much.

Actually, by a lot.  Ten times louder than the Honda EU3000is at 49-58dB(A); logarithmic scales will get you every time.

The Honda EU3000i Handi is lighter at 78lbs (albiet a bit louder).  But, honestly, I think you should be looking at the Yamaha EF2400ISHC - its in your price range and capable of the same uses as the one you were looking at; its relatively light, fairly quiet, and its rated for the r-pod's A/C.  Techntrek had one and can give you the pluses minuses.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 9:30am
I have the EF2400ISHC and can vouch for it.  It usually starts the air con. One time it didn't; I'm in the market for an easy start capacitor now -- but it will run the air con and anything else in the pod, though not at the same time.  The only issue I know of regarding simultaneous usage is the air con and the oven.  That's not a problem for me, except that I forget sometimes. 

The 2400 is great if you want one quiet generator.  The drawbacks I've heard others mention are that you can't hook up an auxiliary gas tank so it will run for 36 hours and you can't hook up another generator in tandem for 4000+ watts.  I don't need 4000 watts and if I did I, personally, don't think I'd care to haul around two generators.  Maybe if I had a giant bus with lots of storage.... And the 2400 runs long enough that I don't mind filling its tank from time to time.  To each his own on both points though.

For the same results you'd need 2 Honda 2000s or 1 3000, either alternative is much more effort.  Honda engines are great, and if one of those choices makes sense to you, you can't go wrong.

The Yamaha 2800 is way louder than the 2400.  Outbound is right about that.  Depending on where you camp, that could be a big deal, and even if it's just you listening to it, it is something to seriously consider, in my opinion.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 11:18am
With a louder, more powerful generator, you may be able to shield the noise and keep it secure by setting it up in the back of your truck!
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 11:58am
My only problem with the EF2400is is the tank lasted me exactly 8 hours every time (with A/C fan on low).  So sleeping in a little extra wasn't possible.  Good and bad on the weight.  I could fairly easily move the 2400 myself - but so could any potential thief.  I now have the Honda EU3000is and the reverse is true on the weight - takes 2 to move including any thief.  But it is the quietest inverter-generator out there and the tank lasts a very long time.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply