R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPod things I miss--Pod things I don't.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pod things I miss--Pod things I don't.
    Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 8:09pm
Well, we've had the pod replacement Kodiak for about a year now, and there are things we miss and things we don't about the changeover.

Pod things we miss:

1. Side sliding windows of the pod are much better for ventilation than the top hinged frameless windows of the Kodiak. The top hinged ones are much better for controlling moisture build up in our dank Pacific Northwest. This is kinda a wash then.

2. Gas mileage-- Those that complain about Pod mileage may not have a good enough perspective. Having owned 6 different TT's between 16' and 22' long, our Pod easily got 1 to 6 mpg better than any of the others we owned. The Tundra's mpg is about 1 and a half to 2 mpg worse pushing the added wind and extra weight of the Kodiak.

3. Great rear sightlines down the narrow Pod--Made things very easy to drive, back, and maneuver.

4. Build quality--Our 2010 RP 175 was put together pretty darn well when compared to our other TT's. Crumby seat cushioning is my main gripe with the Kodiak.

5. Seamless roof--Saves a lot of maintenence.

Pod things we don't miss:

We were interested in replacing our RP 175 with the more roomy RP 179, but didn't because of the following reasons. Many are personal and probably of little concern to others.

1. Step up into the bathroom. My wife is disabled, and it's tough enough for her to get up the outside steps.

2. Separate gray and blackwater dumps are a PITA.

3. Pods' 6' interior with 8' footprint. Being used to keying off the side of the trailer while driving and backing, I'm lucky I never took out the Pod tires/fenders over our 4+ years of ownership.

4. Slide out windows located behind your head while sitting at Pods' dinette or couch. With the Kodiak's side dinette we view mother nature. With the 179 dinette and 175 couch, you get a great view of the Pod bathroom. Kodiak's side dinette is much better for my wife.

We loved our little RP 175, and used the heck out of it over the years, but the times and situations, they do change.

'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 8:39pm
Thanks for the comparison, definitely interesting to hear the positives/negatives.

I really need to set up a non-pod section!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Kickstart

Well, we've had the pod replacement Kodiak for about a year now, and there are things we miss and things we don't about the changeover.

Pod things we miss:

1. Side sliding windows of the pod are much better for ventilation than the top hinged frameless windows of the Kodiak. The top hinged ones are much better for controlling moisture build up in our dank Pacific Northwest. This is kinda a wash then.

Funny the things we like and dislike. My Camplite has the European top hinged awning windows and we love them. They open a larger area, can stay open in rain, and are double pane. Definitely a selling point for me. Although I never had the problem, several Podders reported wind driven rain entering the sliders while driving. To each his own. The only downside to the awning windows is you have to remember to close them before driving off. You might guess how I know that Embarrassed.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 12:12pm
Hey Charlie,

I'm familier with the Camplite windows, and they open wider and are much nicer than my Kodiak's. Kodiak=Toyota/Chevy and Camplite=Lexus/Caddy.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 1:23pm
OK Kickstart,

I concur with your classification of the Camplite, but let's not be knockin' our Toyotas. Mine, at least, is a few notches above a Chevy Hug
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply