R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4000w/3200w Generator for $289.00?!?!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4000w/3200w Generator for $289.00?!?!
    Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 8:15pm
I just got a coupon from Harbor Freight that applies a sale price of $289.00 for this generator 4000 Peak/3200 Running Watts, 6.5 HP (212cc) Generator EPA III  

Sure, it's no Honda or Yamaha, but $289.00? geez, there must be a way to quiet this thing down some. Any Ideas?

Has anyone ever used or is currently using one of these generators for anything?

Are they complete crap?

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 8:23pm
Are they complete crap?

More than likely.

My neighbor bought a similarly unbranded genset from Harbor Freight and it lasted a couple of times. Methinks you get what you pay for. But I'm biased, my Honda is 30 years old and still runs when I need it.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 10:00pm
From everything I've read, attempts to quiet loud gensets never work.  Usually most of the noise comes from engine components so just adding a different muffler doesn't help.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by techntrek

From everything I've read, attempts to quiet loud gensets never work.  Usually most of the noise comes from engine components so just adding a different muffler doesn't help.

Plus, jacking with mufflers often screws up engine performance.  From what I understand, a certain amount of back pressure is generally designed in.  Over-muffled & there's too much.  The other extreme - straight pipes - and there isn't enough.  Either way, performance takes a dive.

edit PS: With the 'contractor' type of generators, you likely won't get Pure Sine Wave if that's important to you.  The closest contractor type of genny I've come across that's still an inverter generator is the Yamaha 2800 at around $1600.  And it's still pretty noisy from what I'm told (as compared to the Honda and other Yamaha inverter gennies).
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 9:49am
I'd be suspicious of the quality myself. There's a big difference between generators. I have a 1000W Honda, a 6500 watt general purpose Generac, and an 8000 watt propane powered Black Max with a Honda motor. You can see these Black Max generators at Sam's Club, although they're not converted to propane.

The little Honda is a sweetie which I took cruising for years when we were sailing, and now tote along on lots of camping trips. The Generac doesn't put out pure sine wave power but ran my house without a blip for a week last winter. I'm pretty happy with it. The massive and extremely heavy Black Max puts out really dirty power that makes my furnace gas valve buzz like a mad hornet. When this generator is running it sounds like a 55 gallon drum full of old car parts rolling down a hill. All three cost less than $1000 new when they were bought. So you get what you pay for. 
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 5:22pm
All of that said, it IS a good idea to have a backup generator if you have a critical situation, like running your furnace or pellet stove during a long winter outage.  Cheap contractor-grade, and large, are good for a backup so the one in question may be a good candidate for that.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply