R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWiFi Hot Spot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: WiFi Hot Spot
    Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 3:44pm
We like camping at State Parks but the WiFi Data service is terrible. Unhappy

I'm looking for people who have used and/or are currently using a portable data device with 3g or 4g service. If so, does it work good? What carrier do you have? What is the data limit? How much does it cost? Is the agreement you have tied or bundled with your phone?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond. 

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 4:56pm
Like you I have found CG Wifi to be worthless. Even if they have the local equipment to cover the CG with Wifi signal, their connection to the internet is so limited as to make it inaccessible except from 2AM to 4AM. No thanks. We use our cellphone connection as a Wifi hotspot and it usually works well. If we have 3G or 4G cell service we have internet access. However, data is expensive and is wrapped into the cellphone subscription. Some limited data is included with the basic smartphone rate, about 0.3 to 1 MB for about $5. Anything more will run $5-$10 per GB per month. Our plan is with AT&T, but others are comparable. It's the price you pay for connectivity. Since our present trailer is all aluminum (Camplite) I added an external antenna on the roof with an amplifier inside. That makes a big difference in fringe areas. Bottom line, it works well for surfing, email, and even streaming video from Netflix. Don't leave home without it Tongue.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 9:47pm
   We have the same as Charlie AT&T using our Wifi hotspot from our iPhone. It has worked well for us. We have a package three cellphones and a wireless home phone unlimited talk and text and wireless Wifi with 30 GB per month which we never come close to using up. Price for the package $215 per month. We have always had good coverage in the south eastern United States we haven't traveled anywhere else. 
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 5:53am
Sometimes, I feel like I am the last person on the planet without a smart phone. It appears there is no advantage of using a dedicated mobile hot spot over having a phone. The data plans for the hot spots cost more for less data and lack the functionality of a phone. Unhappy It's no wonder folks on here don't use a dedicated hot spot device.  Well, I'm going to try to hold out till I'm retired, maybe the State Parks will boost there WiFi by then. Smile  
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 12:50pm
Someday T-Mobile might have better coverage...More on that later.

We are a couple of geeks with a small geek business so access is pretty important to us for both work and pleasure. Data plans keep changing and can be very confusing, even for geeks.

Our current traveling equipment list includes:

2 iPhones (5C and 6)
iPad Air 2 (4g/LTE)
Macbook Air and Macbook Pro
Amazon Fire TV stick
Sabrent WiFi Audio Receiver

The last two are strictly entertainment for streaming (casting) audio/pictures/movies to television/stereo. Sabrent receiver works in car too.

We recently changed our plan(s) to ATT Shared Data plan (now with data rollover). I first determined how much mobile data we really use over the last few months and bought an appropriate plan. We were at the end of our 2 year ATT contract. For us, because we are mostly near or on WiFi, a 3Gb shared data plan for the two phones is just right. Our monthly bill for the shared data plan is $95.00. Just checking now, we have 1.6 Gb of data left for 8 more days of the billing cycle.

Both phones can act as hotspot.

When we do travel we have the option of buying prepaid data with the iPad Air 2. With the iPad Air 2 came the first time the iPad was not locked into a specific provider (with lots of caveats if you are interested). In the past, if we would want or need data above our shared plan, I would purchase 30 days of data from ATT for our older iPad. That would be and still is $50.00 for 5 Gb and allow for the iPad to be used as a hotspot also.

T-Mobile (god bless em) often leads with the best data deals. A recent promotion allowed for 10 Gb for 5 months for $10.00. That's a heckuva deal and I bought it. I have 5 months to use the 10 Gb of data. The only problem with T-Mobile is coverage. No coverage at my house, but I have yet to test it on the road. Still, for ten bucks I figured it was worth a try. I can switch to ATT or Verizon prepaid data if I need to (with a couple of caveats).

All that said, it seems the places we like to camp best have little, if any, coverage from any carrier. I was all set to do some work in the lodge @ Mt. Rainer only to discover they had no WiFi. Oh well. Did get in some great hiking and picture taking. Found any coverage was scarce in most of the places we stayed crossing country.

I haven't tested WiFi rangers or antennas, but you will find some good information @ http://www.gonewiththewynns.com/mobile-internet

Now you know...The Rest of The Story Smile

Fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 1:33pm
Podster I don't have a smartphone and the kids make fun of my military grade flip phone. I like the camping with no WiFi just to get away and relax.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by fwunder

We recently changed our plan(s) to ATT Shared Data plan (now with data rollover).

Don't get too excited about rollover data. Read the fine print. Another slick marketing gimmick. The rollover data expires after one month whether you use it or not. If you change plans periodically like we do depending on our travel plans you lose the rollover data immediately. No carry over if you down grade or upgrade data allocations. And the rollover data only kicks in after you use your entire monthly allocation so you lose it if you have an average or slow month.

Sounds good on TV but AT&T has never been known for good deals. Their claim to fame is general reliability and competitive coverage.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 4:03pm
Goose you are the man, I have one of those phones, that's all I need. When camping we listen to a little bit of news and weather on the radio and that is all. We don't want or need all that high tec stuff when were camping and trying to get away from it.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 6:06pm
Yes, Charlie. You are spot on. ATT's shared data announcement was a half*##@% reaction to TMO's Data Stash offering. John Legere is a thorn in ATT and Verizon's ...  Since I had the Shared Data plan before either announcement, I figure anything from ATT is something. Verizon will, no doubt, one up ATT soon with their version (reaction). 

One thing I have observed with friends, family and clients is they either tend to use much more mobile data than necessary by not limiting the apps that use cellular data or they are paying for much more data than they use. Managing mobile bandwidth can be a pain, but can also save lots of money.

And just an "in jest" counter to the flip phone crowd...My smart phone monitors my car, my health and my mail. It maps constellations and tells me when I will arrive at the park and how to get there. It holds 23 sausage recipes and 4 different kinds of pulled pork mop recipes. It plays music or plays many episodes of Car Talk on long drives. It even tells me when there might be a neat roadside attraction off the main highway. It has a compass, a level, a flashlight, a camera, a timer, alarm and 52 books all built in. I don't need all that stuff, but it sure seems pretty smart to have it in my pocket if I want it! Tongue

Oh, it makes phone calls too.

Just having fun!

Fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Goose

Podster I don't have a smartphone and the kids make fun of my military grade flip phone. I like the camping with no WiFi just to get away and relax.   Goose

I find that I don't like being out of touch. I can relax without being disconected but to each his own.

When I travel my wife and I have My Samsung Galaxy S3, Her Iphone 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, Ipad, and both mine and hers laptops. We use the cell phones as hot spots. When we are in the States my Cell is unlocked so I get a pay as you go plan on an American Carrier. Last time I used Tmoble but their coverage in the north east was terrible so the next time I think I will get an ATT sim card.

Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>