Topic Closeddealer service

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: dealer service
    Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 3:14pm
We bought our new rpod in November and have yet to take it out. We discovered a loud rattle in the heater after running for about 5min. We took it back to our dealer (about 90 miles away) and they said they would fix it.  After a couple of weeks and trips back and forth we decide they do not have the time or inclination to do the repair. We found another dealer about half the distance away and took it there. We had to listen to a lecture on why they don't do warranty work on trailers they don't sell. I told him i get that but it still needed to be fixed. I offered to pay cash and I would worry about the warranty reimbursement. He began yet another long diatribe on lo-balling dealers, but I interupted and said I  would just stop by forest river factory on our way through Oregon to see if they could help. On our way out he stopped us and said he would make an exception and fix it. 3 and a half weeks later.after many conflicting excuses  (parts on order, mechanic sick, wrong parts etc) they call and ask what it was that needed repairing.  Yesterday they called and said it was ready to go but I  had to be there by 4pm , this gave us 30 min to get there. So we have to wait till tues so their service team can demonstrate that the heater now works. 

Is this normal? If its even close, boy I would never buy a new forest river product again. It would be cheaper to buy used and pay cash for repairs and avoid getting involved in all their petty infighting. something to think about before you buy.
John and Dolly
09 Tacoma 4x4
RP 179
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 3:33pm
That kind of treatment would definitely make us run for the hills. Fortunately though, that wasn't our experience. When we were shopping, our local R-pod dealer went through the whole service diatribe and even had a factory rep from FR call us to reinforce it. We  bought from out of state, partially because of these high pressure tactics. When we needed warranty repairs, we brought the r-pod to another FR dealer (though not an r-pod dealer) and they fixed it under warranty with no questions asked and did it right away.

Unfortunately it's pretty hard to know in the beginning who's going to take care of you and who's going to screw you. If the type of service you experienced is going to be a regular thing with FR, buying used does makes sense. Kind of a strange sales model.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
JStrube View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 3:44pm
I am convinced the whole RV construction and dealer network is a bunch of bs.  The manufacturers should refuse product to dealers who do not support all owners. I have heard there is a mobile rv repair guy in the area.  I'll see if I can find the number for you.  You bought at Toy Hauler Liquidators, right?  Cheap, but crappy service.  Who refused to work on it?  Los Banos, or Turlock?
2012 181G
bearclaw68 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 5:58pm
Right.Pan pacific stockton is where it's sitting now. We'll see on tues. Love to have that #.
I don't get it. They don't make money doing warranty work or what. I plan to write the whole thing up when finished. Names and dates. I've heard from others with similar and worse stories. If your going to buy new get the absolute cheapest price possible forget the warranty and diy or find a handyman.
John and Dolly
09 Tacoma 4x4
RP 179
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 6:29pm
The whole RV industry is very inconsistant when it comes to service. It does not have the regulation of the auto industry and dealers are not captive to any manufacturer so they do not have the dealer qulity control that the automotive industry has either.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by bearclaw68

If your going to buy new get the absolute cheapest price possible forget the warranty and diy or find a handyman.

This is the philosophy that I adopted. So far, my dealer has been excellent with the fulfillment of replacement parts. Of course, if I have a major failure during the warranty period, I would be forced to push Forest River to ensure I get service, somewhere in my area. 

I hope your situation improves so you can enjoy the POD and all of the fun that comes with it.

Good luck Sir, 

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 11:38pm
As mentioned, this is the norm for the RV industry - all brands, not just FR.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 7:07am
   And many times if you want it done the right way you need to learn to do it yourself. I have repaired so many things and corrected them that its difficult to understand why the factory did not do it right in the first place. Wacko
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 7:22am
 Your experience with warranty work is similar to mine. They are not required to perform warranty work on something they don't sell, and if they decide they don't to create any goodwill for the next time you are in the market for a new camper, they can tell you to go away.

I also will never purchase a camper from the local Forest River dealership ( Hemlock Hills RV in Southington CT,  VERY close to me ) .  They wanted $3000+ more for an 2013 R-Pod 177 , I was able to get it for just over $13,000 from Couches in Ohio.  But I did have a problem with a water leak.

Hemlock Hill would't touch it. Couches found a dealership here in CT (Long View RV, over 30 miles one way from me ) that would look at it under warranty. It took several trips for them to repair it and get it right, but it did finally get fixed.

2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 8:33am
So the dealer whined about not getting your business when you bought your RV new, then proceeded to give you substandard customer service and poor workmanship? Funny how some dealers don't see a connection between lack of customer loyalty and their own poor regard for those same customers. 

The first (and last) time I dealt with my local dealer for repairs, they didn't even TRY to do a good job. Then the service manager actually told me, with a smirk on his face, to just try to find someone else to fix the problem - so I did. That dealer deserves to have his business stolen away.

I hope the OP gets his issue fixed - then never goes back to that dealer again. And make sure you post a dealer review on the forum for all to see.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>