R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAdjustments needed when adding tongue weight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adjustments needed when adding tongue weight
    Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 1:52pm
A second propane tank and mount will add about 40 pounds, the battery/extra box/cables about 55. You don't need to re-add the weight of the existing propane tank, mount and battery. My Interstate HD24-DP batteries weigh 42 pounds each.

But more importantly, the tongue is a lever, the only way for ALL that weight to be added to the tongue weight would be for it to be all carried at the ball. Only about 70% of it will actually be carried to the tongue..

I run dual batteries (group 24) and dual propane tanks. My measured tongue weight, pod loaded, ready to camp for a week, is around 305 lbs.
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 12:13pm
+1 on everything that has been said. I run with my Generator set on the tonuge of my pod. =This adds about 130Lbs. The only thing I had to change was the setup on my WDH. I had to put a little more spring into it. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 11:52am
My 2¢. 
►If the TV and Hitch Specs checkout, and the overall POD GVW is good, then shoot for a TW of 10-15% relative to overall actual POD GVW. You always want to be nose heavy. Tail heavy can = immediate trouble. The only reason I can think of that you would add tail weight in this situation is b/c you are close to exceeding the TW Specs, which you could do to reduce TW as long as you do not exceed the 10=15% rule and do not exceed the overall GVWR of the  POD or TV. You don't  mention the TW rating of your TV or Hitch. I would suspect that towing with a TV that has a  7,800 rating that the TW may be ok, but some hitches may not be. Are  you using a WDH? 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
JStrube View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 10:56am
Tongue weight is good.  Provided of course, your hitch combo can handle it.  A 7800# tow rating?  Check the owner's manual, but probably good to go.
2012 181G
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 10:05am
Did search - Lots on tongue weights but none on 'changes needed'.

I'm off to CA from WV in a couple of months in a 171. I'm thinking of adding a battery and a propane tank to the tongue for dry camping possibilities. Additional weight - 90 pounds for battery and fill of propane PLUS another battery, empty propane tank and and a second propane fill - figure total of about 200 pounds.

Should I throw in some lead weights in the far back to balance this out? Is there anything else I must adjust/beware of? We are old tent campers so we travel light, TV rated for 7800 pounds and factory installed hitch.

Thanks for any pointers.
 Post Reply Post Reply