R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Rpod vs. ALiner vs. T@G A decision has to be made
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRpod vs. ALiner vs. T@G A decision has to be made

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rpod vs. ALiner vs. T@G A decision has to be made
    Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 1:59pm

I went to the RV show to compare teardrops and ultralight trailers. At the show there was so much to like so instead of making a decision we found more choices and there are pluses and minuses to all. There are two class of campers I was looking at. Standee and teardrop (Very small and just a bed and some have a small kitchen area.)

Standee:

R-Pod - This is a great option with lots of room and lots of storage. Full bathroom, not that I think we would use it. It is also a standee which at 6'4" I can stand in and it has a queen bed and a table that becomes a full bed for the 2 kids. Without this they sleep in a tent. Did I also mention it has a slide so it feels spacious. Downsides to this are price and the high cost of gas due to poor aerodynamics. This is the only one that does not fit in the garage. So there is an extra storage cost. $18,500 + increased gas +storage monthly.

ALiner - Did not think I would like this as much as I did. It has a lot of headroom so I can stand and can not even touch the top of the ceiling unless I stretch. Has a queen bed and a table that becomes a full size bed for the kids. It also folds so that it is not as big to pull and that will save on gas. This is the only one that is a standee and fits in the garage. However this does not offer a lot of storage space like the Rpod since it folds up. I was really surprised I liked this because it is ugly. It's an A-frame for goodness sake. Can that be fun to own? $16-17,000

Teardrop:

T@G 5x10- We love it but it is a bed on wheels with a little bit of storage and it is not comfortable to sit up in, at least not without more pillows than we will have room for. $12,000
Silver Shadow 6x10 - Is a little wider than the T@G at 6' but still is a bed on wheels with a little bit of storage and it is not comfortable to sit up in, at least not without more pillows than we will have room for. $14,000

Note only the T@G does not require a new car. But our second car is 8 years old and an accord so we are planning to change it in a year anyway. But any other choice but these two means waiting another year and not getting one for this summer.

So I need opinions. Anyone own any of these? Have any thoughts on build quality, ownership, storage space, towing ease (I never towed anything)? gas use? Only ever did tent camping so any thought would be great.

We are going camping for two weeks this summer so we need to make a decision.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 3:00pm
Figure on getting 1/3 off of MSRP with good negotiation, so keep that in mind when pricing.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Ninjamini View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 4:15pm
Really? What is MSRP for a 179? Like $20,000? So $14,000? That much margin? That much off?

My family calls me ninja negotiator.
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 4:54pm
My 2ยข
Wow, I'm to surprised to hear how easily you dismissed the value of a private bathroom and shower in the POD!Shocked  

If I felt the same way the A-Liner would be my choice because of aerodynamics (frontal area) and storage.   
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Ninjamini View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 5:06pm
Many are surprised that I don't want a bathroom. I camp and am used. To the bathhouse.

But the real reason is that I am 6'4" and well I'm a big guy. While I can get myself into the bath I can not move in there to do the things that would need to do in a bathroom. Plus I don't ever seeing myself going somewhere that does not have a bathhouse.

Plus remember. I started looking at small teardrops. So no bath there either. I still want to camp. But want a bed and ac.
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 5:55pm
If you are looking to fit it in the garage, and not pay storage fees it seems your choices are but a few.

We started looking last year with garage storage in mind, but was not happy with the Aliner, Chalet, or any A Frame. Unless you plan on towing very long distances, your gas consumption (due to weight) will be very similar, and thought the price was a bit high for what you got. It is still just as wide and long when folded down.
We rented a Aliner Ranger from Beckleys RV last year, and I was also feeling very confined when the weather was bad and had to stay "indoors". I find it a very basic shelter with a high price tag.

If you go with anything else, you will need a tow vehicle rated at least 5,000 lbs with WDH and anti-sway to be safe. So again, you may again be limited to the T@b and smaller Aliner (Ranger), if you are towing with a car.

Truth be told, if my HOA would allow us to park a pickup truck in our driveway (they are considered work vehicles), I would have probably gone with a truckbed camper :P
Easy storage in the garage, and when loaded an a capable 4x4, can go anywhere!
More food for thought :)
Ninjamini View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 6:15pm
Lets not get off track as I'm buying a new car in a few months anyway. Anyone with comparisons of. These campers.
podvader View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 7:06pm
I looked very hard at the A-liners before moving on to the r-pods.  At the end of the day there could be times you really appreciate the bathroom even if it is not a part of daily camping life.  The Aliners also involve setup and takedown which I was fine with but what about stopping and wanting to grab something out of it while traveling?  You need to crawl.

At the end of the day the r-dome dismissed any thoughts I had on any other camper.  I am a lifelong tent camper until a few years ago and the r-dome gives me a tent-like option to hang out in that no other camper replicates.
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 8:18pm
When I was shopping A-Liners hard, I did run across a few good deals on used ones, almost bought one. I think the A-liner is your ticket. I have towed pop-ups and a home built custom, both had minimal drag and I didn't even notice a drop in millage although I'm sure there was. Nonetheless, its nothing like towing a POD. I disagree that your gas mileage will be anything like towing the POD. When towing a POD you can expect to get about 1/2 of what you normally get. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 8:37pm
Have you tried the bed in the r-pod? At 6'4" it could be very tight fit.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>