R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Rpod vs. ALiner vs. T@G A decision has to be made
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRpod vs. ALiner vs. T@G A decision has to be made

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rpod vs. ALiner vs. T@G A decision has to be made
    Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 8:37pm
If you can really exclude the desire for a full bath, I'm not sure you should consider paying for one.  I'm not a little guy.  Not as tall as you, but I agree the bathroom isn't exactly roomy, but it works for me.  For me the ability to take a hot shower anywhere is fantastic after many years of tent camping mostly in the Smokies, but also in other state and national parks often without shower houses, usually even without hookups.  We tend to avoid commercial campgrounds.  I've been known to jump in icy rivers after 2 or 3 days without a shower so the pod is absolutely wonderful.  Getting up to pee in the middle of the night with the bathroom right there is also nicer than you might imagine. 

Being able to pull over, rain or shine, for lunch or just a quick driving break at a rest stop or any little pull-off is great too.  Again, the bathroom is a significant convenience, and access to a full kitchen and dining room with no set up/ take down or crawling is really nice.

The pod is the only camping trailer I've ever pulled so I don't know how it compares to the others regarding gas mileage.  Until I retire, the trips I take involve one or two, maybe 2 and a half days of driving and 4 to 6 or 8 days of "being there".  For the travel days, my gas bill doubles, but those aren't most days.  Probably even on an extended month or 2-month long trip after I retire, most days won't involve towing, so MPGs aren't all that significant to me anyway.  Convenience and creature-comforts are more important to me.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Kokopod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 11:52am
Sold our 25 ft. Shasta - wanted to downsize (just two of us now). We bought and owned a Little Guy 5-Wide for about two years. It had a 10 x 10 tent that attached at one of the doors. It was a real conversation piece but wasn't practical (although it had the most comfortable bed we've had in a camper because of length). We went from Little Guy to Aliner for two years. Loved it. Storage was tight, but creativity helped. Went from 22 mpg to 16 pulling with a Jeep Cherokee. Bed was very tight for a tall guy and no bathroom (some day you'll care). Owned Rpod 177 for a year. Mileage went from 22 to 10, but that didn't matter because we had so much more room. The bed was still a real problem because of my 6'3" height and climbing over spouse. All of these campers were of very good quality. Now have a camper that has a queen bed with isles but still only 19 ft. but 9 ft. wide and only cost a couple thousand dollars more than the Pod. We get 10-11 mpg. "Cute" had dragged us into all the other purchases, but in the end we lost lots of money on all the trade-ins as we played around with a practical choice. Be careful with your decision!
2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k
2013 Premier 19FBPR
Formerly-2013 R-pod 177HRE
2011 Dodge Durango
Love a good road trip
J&Jcf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 2:26pm
At 6'4 inches tall I would check on bed size fit. The RV bed sizing is smaller. The queen size bed length is 74 inches . I am 72 inches tall and with pillow just fit stretched out. But ,I am constantly rattling the metal blinds which will be changed out. If you sleep in the fetal position all the time you will not have a problem.
J. - 2011 rpod 171
Ninjamini View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 8:41pm
Wow Kogopod you went through a lot of trailers.  The T@G is also a LG and is a lot like the 5 wide only with a taller ceiling. It also works with the attached 10x10 tent.   
Questions:
  1. Why did you go from the ALiner to the RPod? Was it the bathroom? Because the beds are about the same size. 
  2. How did storage compare for each and what about ease of towing? 
  3. Was the Aliner easier to tow?
  4. Sounds like the Aliner cost 25% in gas and the Rpod cost 50%?

You are right about one thing the T@G and Rpod we think are cute and the Aliner is kinda ugly. But we want something we can use for 10-12 years. I have a dream that when the kids are out we sell the house and I live and work from a fifth wheel that we drag around the country. 

I do sleep in the fetal position so I am not as worried about the fact that I am about as tall as the sleeping space. 

Originally posted by Kokopod

Sold our 25 ft. Shasta - wanted to downsize (just two of us now). We bought and owned a Little Guy 5-Wide for about two years. It had a 10 x 10 tent that attached at one of the doors. It was a real conversation piece but wasn't practical (although it had the most comfortable bed we've had in a camper because of length). We went from Little Guy to Aliner for two years. Loved it. Storage was tight, but creativity helped. Went from 22 mpg to 16 pulling with a Jeep Cherokee. Bed was very tight for a tall guy and no bathroom (some day you'll care). Owned Rpod 177 for a year. Mileage went from 22 to 10, but that didn't matter because we had so much more room. The bed was still a real problem because of my 6'3" height and climbing over spouse. All of these campers were of very good quality. Now have a camper that has a queen bed with isles but still only 19 ft. but 9 ft. wide and only cost a couple thousand dollars more than the Pod. We get 10-11 mpg. "Cute" had dragged us into all the other purchases, but in the end we lost lots of money on all the trade-ins as we played around with a practical choice. Be careful with your decision!

Kokopod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 11:28pm
While we still owned the Aliner, we went to an RV show with the idea of trading it in and purchasing another Aliner with the wet bath (yes, the bathroom was the main issue). The larger Aliner with toilet actually had less room than our smaller one. We also found out that it was a dump toilet. Just when we had decided to just keep what we had, we went into an Rpod and loved it. The price was the same, it had a bathroom, much much more storage, and although the Aliner was easy to put up and take down, we had to put it up and take it down! We traded in the Aliner and bought it. The difference in the two isn't even comparable. We still love R-pods to this day. That's why we still browse around this forum. Just to let you know, even though we no longer have the Pod, it's still in the family - our son bought it from us, and his young family loves it. Towing the Aliner was easy, but towing the Rpod is too.
2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k
2013 Premier 19FBPR
Formerly-2013 R-pod 177HRE
2011 Dodge Durango
Love a good road trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12