R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKeep the R-Pod outside in Florida???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keep the R-Pod outside in Florida???
    Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 6:18pm
One of the factors in my camper decision is fitting in the garage. Not the biggest but I'd like to have it protected. But here is the question....
Will keeping it outside in the Florida sun, heat and humidity be bad for the pod? Will it mold? Develop leaks? Or make the plywood mush over time? What about bugs and the like?

Does anyone leave it outside full time when not in use?
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 6:40pm
I do, however, I keep it waxed and I do keep a cover on it. As far as insect infestation some folks use pesticides around the tires to keep them from crawling on. As far as humidity, like several others here, you can find RV dehumidifier buckets to keep things fresh while in long term storage. 

The POD has a 1 piece fiberglass roof and a fiberglass exterior so it's as about as good as it gets when it comes to outdoor durability. 

Whatever camper you settle on I do hope will with join us for the BIG TEXAS RALLY in October at Tyler State Park. 

Check out this thread with all of the background on the RALLY.

Good Luck!

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 6:58pm
   We live across the state from you the sun can be very hard on almost everything including campers and automobiles. I would try to provide some shade if possible and covers need to have ventilation because of the high humidity. We kept out r-pod under a carport and the same with our current camper our Vibe. Both have fiberglass roofs which will hold up better than a rubber roof but sealants and rubber window seals can be damaged in time from the sun. As far as weather in South Florida it can be beautiful, though this year Winter has been exceptionally warm I think if it doesn't get cooler in February it will seem like Winter skipped past us.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Ninjamini View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 7:05am
So I gather the R Pod car type cover does not work due to humidity. But a tent like device like a tent carport would do the trick?
J&Jcf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 12:21pm
I live in Orlando area and have owned several TT that I have stored outside without covers.l currently own rpod 171 which is stored outside without cover.Usually, before use I give it a good wash and wax. A cover would probably keep it cleaner. I usually leave vent slightly open for ventilation and reduce heat build up. Other TT had Maxy vent cover so could leave vent open during rain(not yet installed on pod). Insects can be a problem, but I just keep contact points to ground treated with store bought spray about twice a year and inside about once a year.l had a problem with what they call sugar ants (not the red biting ants) while camping at Everglades national park this year. Fortunately, l had some bug spray with me and treated contact points. Problem solved. We are reverse snow bird and head for cooler climate in the summer so trailer not in storage for long periods of time.
On storage,make sure you can legally keep TT at your home. Many cities have ordinance's against storing them at a residence. So cost of storage may be a factor.
J. - 2011 rpod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply