R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAC prep

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC prep
    Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 5:14pm
Silly question, I found an r-pod locally at a dealer but as I was driving away I realized it had the fantastic fan, not AC.

I assume it is an either/or and if the fantastic fan is there an AC cannot be added.  I also assume it would be better to have it done at the factory, right?

I am sort of bummed out.  They had 3 182g's but one was the older model (I want my magnetic locks and new colors!)...the one had no AC...and the one they pulled in for us had obviously been leaking water in the garage.  There was a frozen ice block in the cooler and the light bar looked a little warped with wires showing.   Even if it is a simple matter of the door not being closed tightly, I have no way to know if water made it into the back wall.

Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 7:05pm
Hmm, the fantastic fan on my 178 is mounted on the bathroom ceiling and the A/C is mounted in the center of the POD. It's not one or the other, you can have both. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Mountainrev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 8:05pm
It's definitely not either/or.  I haven't seen an R-pod without A/C, but I guess they do offer that as a price-leader.  So I guess it's either FF + A/C, or just FF.  But if you purchase one without A/C, you certainly could add it later.  Plenty of room.

2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
ChinookPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 9:51pm
We ordered our 171 HRE exactly two years ago.  We have a fantastic fan in the bathroom, and a regular vent where the AC would go.  Have replaced the vent cover twice due to hail destruction, but the fantastic fan lid is unscathed.  BTW, hail took out the porch light too, but no damage to fiberglass or windows.
2014 RP171 HRE
2010 F150
podvader View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 12:22am
The fantastic fan would be a different opening size wouldn't it? I will call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say. It was just kind of a bummer because seeing the mildew in the garage when they brought it in took the wind out of our sails as far as making the deal today.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 9:16am
The FantasticFan is usually installed in the bathroom. The AC, if present, is in the center of the ceiling. If the Pod was ordered without AC I'm not sure what's in its place, maybe nothing or maybe a skylight. If it came without AC it is probably also missing the extra circuit breaker, the wiring for 120V power, and wiring to the thermostat. The thermostat will also be a simple heat only stat. Adding the circuit breaker is easy, but running the wires would be a problem. Without actually opening the hole in the ceiling it would be difficult to know for sure. The best situation would be the factory actually ran the wires during assembly, but that would be a lucky find. Sans that I would approach with caution. If there is a second FF  in the ceiling center it only proves the existence of 12V power, not 120V.

I would definitely stay away from any unit that showed evidence of water leakage. That can be really bad news.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
ChinookPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 10:18am
I concur with CharlieM.  There is no sign of electrical wiring around our roof vent (no faceplates or anything).
2014 RP171 HRE
2010 F150
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 12:55pm
I've only seen one rpod without air conditioning. It was at a roundup in MI, and it had a sunroof where the A/C would normally have been installed.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 7:38pm
As far as I know all of them are pre-wired for A/C.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply