R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed179 mods - Event Date: 02 Nov 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: 179 mods
    Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 2:30pm
We added 2 6v batteries and changed the propane to double tanks. ( I don't know why we've never come close to running out of propane yet). Our best one was to remove the dinette seat storage seat. 3 screws. Amazing how much floor apace this opened up. Reduced the "bed space" To a single but it was never flat anyway. Cushions and table never matched up for a flat surface. Poor design. I think it was just put there so they could say there was x amount of sleeping room.
We also added 2 2inch eggshell foam to the mattress. The foam sticks to the mattress like velcro so it dosen't slip around. Fairly comfy and cheaper than a new mattress. Next up is to replace the seating area cushions or maybe install some sort of a foldout loveseat. The cushions they used are about as uncomfortable as you can get. Foam flattens to about a quarter inch and your sitting on hard bench. The stereo and tv combo seem like an afterthought as well. they are located next to the ceiling and trying to veiw the channel station leads to a sore neck. Nealy imposible to read the display or see the TV. Gonna have to change that out.
Just ordered a slide up vertical window for the door. Can't stand not being able to see out. Plus with the 179 even with door open you can't see to the front unless you step outside. Window should help.
Just a thought, but it sure seems like FR skimped on everything possible. Lots of glue and staples. We really like the trailer but we were a little shocked that there is going to be alot of DYI and money to make it comfortable. Its our first rv of any kind so I don't know what to compare it to. Even so were still lovin' it..... oh, any thoughts on reversing the door?
John and Dolly
09 Tacoma 4x4
RP 179
LePodders View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 3:08pm
We pick ours up on Saturday. The first change we plan to make is the door window. I know what you mean about having to step out and down the step to look out that direction. Can you show pictures of the storage cube removed? We have 2 new batteries we will install. Also I have a oxygenics shower head to use in place of the "trickling" factory one.
Keenan, Kathryn, Millie, Rio & Cali (2015 r pod 179)
Poddy by Nature
jeffkseattle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 3:23pm
Our new 179 is being delivered tomorrow. We also want to put a window of some kind in the door. Saw a thread here where he installed a porthole but am very interested in the vertical blind solution you mentioned. Can you link the source for this? I would like to check it out. Please post updates about how the installation works for you.
Grandpa Hiker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 3:37pm
Rob & Becky
2014 Ford Explorer 3.5 SOHC V6
2015 R-179 Pod aka Piddle Pod

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain!!"
bearclaw68 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 4:17pm
Lepodders.. I will post pic soon as I figure out how. Just open storage lid and take out 3 screws. It lifts right out.Takes 5 min. It really makes it easier getting in and out dining area and opens up main bed to sit on edge. Thinking bout removing other one too or cutting it back.
John and Dolly
09 Tacoma 4x4
RP 179
NormanHill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 8:34pm
I know what you mean about FR cheaply building these. After a year of complaining I've gotten used to it and am just enjoying the trailer.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 10:43pm
That's good advice. It's kind of like a mourning period.
John and Dolly
09 Tacoma 4x4
RP 179
Jannie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 12:52pm
WOW! I really like that!
bonnie&clyde View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 3:01pm
Hi Bearclaw68, we're thinking of purchasing the 179 soon and our only complaint is the stupid storage "cubes" for the dinette, did you successfully remove these? Did you shorten the slide electronics cube yet? Would love to see a picture if you have one!! Thanks!!

Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 3:00pm
We just added window slider to door and a privacy curtain for sleeping area. Trying  to post picts. Guess i need step by step instructions. 
John and Dolly
09 Tacoma 4x4
RP 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>