R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElectrical question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrical question
    Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 8:55pm
 Today the microwave quit working, I checked the breakers and found out from factory breakers were not labeled correctly. I also found out a wire connection melted. From factory the microwave and converter were on the same 15 amp breaker. For some reason wires were spliced before connecting to breaker from microwave. The connector melted and broke the connection to microwave. I could correct wiring but my question could there be damage to microwave or converter. The camper was out of warranty last December but Forest River said they would cover under warranty and to take it to Camping World. If wires are corrected I am wandering later in time if there could be a problem with the microwave or converter. Or is it possible there is a way to know or any test that could be done on microwave and converter to check for possible damage? I know there are some electrical engineers on this form and hope that someone could explain if or any damage could of resulted.  Thank you, for what ever help you able to provide.   David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 9:54pm
I doubt there will be an issue with the microwave or converter.  Likely it was "just" an overload which caused the wiring failure (very lucky it didn't start a fire, which is why "just" is in quotes).  Once that is corrected you should be good.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 8:07am
  Thank you, Doug I was thinking the same but was not sure. At 6 AM I went out and made the corrections myself. The microwave and converter are working fine as far as I can tell. I will call Forest River and let them know. I really did not want to take the time to hitch up trailer and tow it to camping world and most likely they would not have done anything much different than I did in correcting the problem. If Forest River wants me to still take it over to have Camping World check it out I will do that to be safe.
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 8:54am
David,

Interesting story. If you still had your Pod I would immediately understand the mislabeling, but I guess they're all the same.  As Doug says, probably no damage to the appliances from your ordeal and the melted connector  is another instance of misapplication or improper installation.

The combination of micro and converter on one circuit does disturb me. You didn't say what model power panel you have or how many breakers you have available. The WFCO unit I recall from the Pod had one main 30A breaker and up to 5 additional 15-20 Amp slots. The Power Dynamics unit I have now has six extra breakers. Typically there are six important circuits in a small camper: A/C, microwave, fridge, outlets, converter, and water heater. With 5 breakers it becomes a balancing act to decide which two to combine. Apparently you manufacturer chose to combine converter and micro. Due to some load, convenience, and criticality  issues the A/C, fridge, and WH should be on separate circuits. That leaves the micro, outlets and converter to share the two remaining circuits. It's almost a toss up, but I might have combined the outlets with the microwave and left the converter on it's own separate circuit. The converter keeps your battery charged, but if the micro and outlets both go dark it's not a big deal and you would notice it right away. The only big wattage appliance you're likely to plug into the outlet circuit is a 1500W heater so you could turn it off for the few minutes the micro would run. This arrangement assures that no normal operation would shut down your fridge or converter without your knowing it.

If your converter has six available breaker slots consider separating the six circuits I've listed above. I don't recall the WFCO well enough, but it might be possible to substitute two smaller half sized breakers in one slot to give you an extra circuit. DOUG could answer that.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 10:01am
   The Vibe has the WFCO unit same as the r-pods. The circuit breaker was labeled for the microwave to have its own designated 15 amp breaker. Even though the factory labeled it that way it was wired differently with the microwave and converter combined. The non GFI outlets were connected to the microwave labeled breaker and nothing else. I switched wires combining non GFI outlets with the converter on a 15 amp breaker and microwave on it's own 15 amp breaker. The GFI , AC, and water heater are each on their own breaker. Everything seems to be working fine now. The convection microwave uses a lot of power forgot how many amps but I suppose that is why it needs a 15 amp to it's self. The microwave is a Advent and think it uses more amperage than the Sylvania that was in our 2009 r-pod. I liked the Sylvania better the Advent is a little confusing to operate and I think the Sylvania was better quality. Thank you, for the help it's always good to know that there are members on this forum with the knowledge and experience to help out.
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 10:54am
  I have another question according to the microwave manual under electrical requirements it says that it requires 20 amps. Is the 15 amp breaker it's connected to any any problem or should it be connected to a 20 amp breaker?
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 11:12am
Sounds like the setup you described in your 2nd to last post is right. 
I wouldn't worry about the microwave being on a 15 amp breaker.  If the wiring running to the microwave outlet isn't sized properly putting it on a 20 amp breaker would be dangerous.  Most countertop models use a 15 amp plug.  If you start getting nuisance trips because it is on the 15 amp breaker, make sure the wiring is 12 gauge and not 14 and then swap out the breaker with a 20 amp model.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 11:23am
David,

Sounds like a plan and no need to drive to CW. No problem with the micro on a 15 Amp circuit. Even a full sized 1500 watt micro will run on a 15A circuit.The only question I'd have is where is the fridge. You want it fairly isolated so it doesn't get shut down and melt the ice cream, but combining it with the GFI circuits would be OK. If the fridge auto switches to propane that's even better.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 12:27pm
 Thank you Doug and Charlie, The refrigerator is connected with the converter and it does auto switch to propane " that's if everything works as it should ". I do not have that much understanding of electricity, I feel more at home working with wood.

Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 4:17pm
The microwave should be on its own circuit, so a 15A breaker is OK. My 172 is wired this way, in fact the duplex outlet provided for the microwave actually only has one usable outlet in it. The other is a dummy, the slots in it are blocked off and you couldn't plug anything into it if you wanted to.

If the microwave is plugged into a general use kitchen circuit with more than one outlet, as is often the case at home, then it needs to be a 20A circuit.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
 Post Reply Post Reply