R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrakes Disintegrating...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Appocalexx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brakes Disintegrating...
    Posted: 07 May 2015 at 6:08am
it looks like the brake adjustment is on the bottom, there should be a rubber/plastic garmet in a hole on the back side of the assembly big enough to put a flat head back there or if you have it the tool actually used to adjust drum type brakes. There should be a wheel that has teeth on it and you just turn it to where it pushes out on the brake shoes and makes them tighter on the drum. If you havnt done it before i would ask them to show you for futuere reference bc it would need to be adjusted after so many miles of use again. But you just dont want them to be too tight.
Cap-n-Cray View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 9:07pm
Some new photos and information.

Here is a photo from the RV shop of the old brake before it was replaced.

Notices the brake adjusting cable.

The new replacement brake.

No self adjusting feature.

The brakes didn't seem like they were doing much on the trip home from the RV shop. I think the RV shop didn't adjust them properly. The RV shop ask me to bring the trailer back so they could look at them.

Cary
2014 RP-177

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2015 at 7:18pm
The RV shop said the brakes were just coming apart. They said the self adjusting was "maybe" adjusting to much? There was no heat issues that I felt for over 6K last year. No caustic chemical that I am aware of and it was both sides. I am not sure what damaged the drum, but it was deeply scored.

The rust is from the parts setting outside before I was able to take some photos. I live in a rain forest...
Cary
2014 RP-177
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2015 at 7:04pm
As I am in the middle of repacking bearings and inspecting brakes, I find this interesting.

To me, it looks like debris got in the drums between the pads and the drum or rust. Don't understand how that could be a self adjustment or axle problem. Self adjustment, maybe, if pieces disintegrated or some caustic chemical got introduced. The self adjustment mechanism is pretty simple.

My 2014 178 has a Dexter axle and 10" Dexter Nev-R-Adjust brakes. Interesting that the entire brake assembly is almost as cheap as replacing pads - about $45.00 per wheel. Considering replacing the assemblies...just cuz I got about 11K miles, it's up on jacks and the pads are about @ 1/8".

Curious to know why they think the pads are disintegrating.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2015 at 6:45pm

Sorry for the delay...  My truck’s clutch failed.

Anyway I finally took my Rpod back to the RV repair center for the brake repair. They had been in touch with Forest River and Lippert axle. The RV shop had sent some photos (which I took) of the axle’s manufacture tags to Lippert. Lippert shipped replacement parts to the shop. The replacement parts consisted of two new brake units complete with backing plates and one new brake drum. The RV shop replaced both brakes and one drum. One original drum had not been damaged, but all the shoes were showing sign of disintegration.

Photo of the old disintegrating brake shoe still attached to the brake unit…

The one replaced brake drum, which was badly scored …

The RV shop told me that Lippert seems to know about the problem. Lippert gave no further information to the shop or me. The RV shop was required to send the old brake parts back to Lippert. There was no cost to me other than time.

I have done some web searches and found some information on past Lippert axle brake problems. The RV repair center said they had seen this issue before and it had something to do with the auto brake adjust cable. The RV place had removed the cable on some units.

I am going to pull the hubs to check the brakes before any trips. The brakes did not feel like they were doing much on the way home from the RV center...

Cary
2014 RP-177
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 7:51pm
Good to know, please keep us posted. Would love to see some pics.

Makes a very good case to pull those hubs at least once a year.
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 7:05pm
2014 R177 with Lippert axles. I had my wheel bearing repacked as part of the life time warranty offered by the dealer where we bought our pod from. The RV repair center found the brake shoes were disintegrating. The RV repair center thinks it has something to do with the brake's auto adjust feature. I did see one side and the shoes are coming apart in chunks.

I have been in contact with Forest River and the repair center is filing a claim for me. Lippert has been notified. Lippert seems to know about the problem.

Anyone else have this problem? I only have 6-7K miles on the pod. The hubs have never been hot. I check the hubs and brake drums every time I stop.

Just a heads up. Might need to check your brake shoes.

I will keep updating this thread as I know more. I will post photos when I have them.
Cary
2014 RP-177
 Post Reply Post Reply