R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAndersen No Sway WT Dist Hitch - Event Date: 24 Feb 2015 - 01 Jun 2015

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Andersen No Sway WT Dist Hitch
    Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 6:49pm
I just purchased a 2015 Rpod 179, an upgrade from my 2010 Rpod 173!!
With the additional weight, I am now in the market for a weight distributing hitch (have used an anti sway bar on 173). I am intrigued by the Andersen no sway weight dist. hitch. I have had no experience with any wt hitches, so am a total rookie!! Has anyone had any experience with the Andersen? Does anybody have any favorites. Reasons for favorites?
Thanks for your help. This a great place for exchange of ideas and assistance.
P.S. If my son doesn't want to purchase my 2010 Rpod 173, it may be for sale!!!!
Yellowstonestu & Bela the Vizsla
2008 Toyota FJ
2015 RPod 179 (Pod #2)
D. K. CAMPERS View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 7:44pm
Hi Yellowstonestu, We just bought a 179 2015 also. We will be setting up 2011 gmc terrain with r-pod and we have the same questions. I will look forward to the info as well.
Deb and Kathy
yellowstonestu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 8:11pm
Congrats on your purchase! I hope that we both enjoy our new pods as much as I have enjoyed my 173!! I am anxious for spring time in the rockies so I can get it out and enjoy it!!!
2008 Toyota FJ
2015 RPod 179 (Pod #2)
Old Dingo&Mrs.Dingo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 8:41pm
I've been using an Andersen WDH for several years, I have never felt any sway or bounce from my 'pod,  I especially like it for it's light weight and modern design.  Because there are no rods or levers, it's small enough and light enough (60# w/ ball mount)  to toss in the 'pod's storage area at the campsite.  The hitch uses friction on a tapered shaft to control sway and a poly spring for weight redistribution.  Both the friction material and springs are replaceable.  Because it is totally adjustable, there is only one rate of spring. It is very easy to remove or adjust with only a 1/2" ratchet and the supplied deep socket.   The Andersen uses a standard 2" receiver.
The only downside I can see is the need for different size Andersen balls, if you use two different size hitches.  The tapered shaft on the one piece, Andersen ball is where the friction is applied to control sway.      
Old Dingo and/or Mrs. Dingo
181G
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 8:42pm
Oh Yeah, you don't need to remove it when you back up.  A big plus in my opinion.
181G
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
yellowstonestu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 9:07pm
Thanks for your review. That is most helpful!! Did you purchase the 4 inch drop bracket or the 8 inch drop bracket? Guess I am asking which model you ordered?
2008 Toyota FJ
2015 RPod 179 (Pod #2)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 4:40pm
I bought the 4" drop, because the center of my receiver is 20" off the ground, with the risers added to my 'pod, the top of the hitch is 19 1/2" off the ground.  Installed in the two lowest holes, the top of the ball is at the center of the receiver.  I add a little tension (too much tension reduces the sway control) on the poly springs in the WDH and my TV is level. (or "as close as makes no difference")  Which drop to use depends entirely on your hitch's installed height, and the 'pod's ride height.  The ride height can vary with added risers, wheel and tire size.
181G
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
 Post Reply Post Reply