Topic ClosedAdvice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice
    Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 12:40am
Looked at several different trailers today, including the full line of Palomini. The only plus to this line I could see is they do have two models with dry bath's in them. Quality felt poor and ground clearance was not adequate, plumbing was only about 10" above the ground on a level lot. Still haven't getten in an Rpod yet but will be looming next week. Did look at flagstaff micro lites, jayco jay flight's, a coleman 19qrb, and flagstaff shamrock hybrid and found a lot we liked in several of them. On the short list of trailers to look at is the Evergreen Ascend, price is in line with the Rpod and features are equal or better with a dry bath in which the Misses tells me is almost a must. Any feedback on the Evergreen brand / reputation? How does the wet bath in the Rpod work for everyone? What are the pros / cons of hybrids?
Viperbyte View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 11:59am
Hi
Concerning the wet bath. Missy and I have also just moved up from tent camping owning our 179 for a year now. Although we appreciate the convenience of a wet bath, it is very small. I am 5'11" , 230 (yes a bit fluffy) and its use can be a bit challenging.

We love our R Pod but if we had family members camping with us, I would want a larger camper trailer. It can just be a bit tight in there with more people. JMHO.

Here is a link to another brand Vista Cruiser: http://gulfstreamrvtrailers.com/visa/floorplans.php
I can't attest to the the quality but some of their floor-plans may be more suited for a larger family.

Another issue you may want to consider is your Freshwater, Black, and Gray tank size. It amazes me how some of the larger trailers built for 5-6 people (subtract one or two for true comfort) have tanks that are the same size or smaller than an R Pod. Believe me you can fill them black and Gray tanks up fast. I mentioned this because you said something about taking moderate trips on public lands. I assumed this was for longer than just a few days.

Take care and best wishes.
Jon & Missy
Bandit, Willy, Woody, & Fargo (The Pod Pack)
2015 (Early) R Pod 179
2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac V8 4x4
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 1:50pm
Very true...watch tank size. The PODs are generally equipped with 30+30+36 fresh. 

As far as hybrids, the advantage is excellent expansion with minimal effort. 

Disadvantages, well you can do thing's to mitigate this but, it's a tent area, so...when it's really hot or really cold so is the tent area. Also, fold outs require a little more maintenance, but its kinda cool that you can take an 18 or 20 footer and turn it into a 24 or 28 footer! 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 3:45pm
I was concerned with the wet bath when we first got ours, but I mind it less every year.  It is small, and needs to be wiped down after a shower, but it has just become part of the fun of camping.

Not being able to walk around the bet to make it and having to climb over the outside person to get out of bed are not much fun. If anything drives us away from the Pod that will be it.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 7:35pm
My suggestion for a wet bath is to get a synthetic chamois "shammy" towel to mop up after.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

I was concerned with the wet bath when we first got ours, but I mind it less every year.  It is small, and needs to be wiped down after a shower, but it has just become part of the fun of camping.

Not being able to walk around the bet to make it and having to climb over the outside person to get out of bed are not much fun. If anything drives us away from the Pod that will be it.

...only accounts for 1 of 188th of the total experience. Smile
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
calmdowneight View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 10:01pm
Thanks again everyone. All info is very appreciated. Liked the size of the hybrids, but don't think they're for us, tend to like the totally enclosed campers better. Hopefully going to look at the R pods tomorrow or the day after. Then I will have a better idea if where we need to be looking. Still like the r pods based on photos, videos, exterior but do need to get in one. Have been checking out the Venture Sonic trailers and Camplite by Livin Lite and will go see these as well. I just keep coming back to the size (not weight) of the R pods to get into tight spaces ( not campsites) easier. Any additional info on the above brands and maneuverability of the R pods vs other trailers would be greatly appreciated. I have only towed open air trailers and small box trailers.
ChinookPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 10:12pm
I saw the Winnebago Micro Minnie and Minnie at a recent show.  Impressed with finish and inclusions (awning, jacks, water and tank capacities, 6-sided aluminum frame, etc).  Bathroom had a dry bath.  The smaller models vary in width.  Down side was it seemed a little low, but maybe axle risers would help.  Made me think, though...
2014 RP171 HRE
2010 F150
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 10:55pm
The Winnebago Micro Minnie does look very cool, ground clearance was my issue with them too. I've noticed a lot of the single axle smaller trailers seem to be very low, or the plumbing hangs low enough to be knocked off fairly easily. Most of the dual axles seem to have adequate ground clearance but then the length comes into play.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 10:56pm
Going to finally get to go look at R pods this weekend; hopefully anyhow. I will then have a better idea of what we need to be looking for. The Cruiser Funfinder 18ufd is another model I'd be interested in looking at as well. I've found out that there are so many choices out there that's its kind if confusing to know where to head. I'm looking for a quality product but don't want to break the bank in the process since we will likely use it one weekend a month for about 6 months out of the year and maybe a week long trip once a year. How's the build quality of the R pod vs some of the larger box type trailers in the same price point? Would like bunks and a slide and the rear garage on the pods would be nice and potentially add a littleore storage or carrying capacity. We're basically wanting something that we can leave partially stocked to make taking off on Fridays after work easier and quicker.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>