R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAny kayak anglers out there?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any kayak anglers out there?
    Posted: 31 May 2015 at 9:55am
Leo, this sounds like a great package, It's been a long time Since we were at the outerbanks. Thanks for the tip.
2016 R Pod 178
2001 Ford F 150 Triton V8
Kayaks and old folks bicycles
Lisaandbill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 8:58am
Kayaks, canoes and wading boots! Boats go on the truck rack - we decide what to bring based on where we are going. Recently made some fly fishing lanyards so I don't have to wear a vest. For quick trips - one four piece 5 weight rod and reel in a hard case and a lanyard. Keeping it iight! 
Lisa, Bill and Tonka
A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety. Aesop

2016 Rpod 179
TV: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
1964 El Camino
2010 Harley Electraglide
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 1:38pm
Sounds excellent!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Markie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 8:19am
I see this thread is a few months old but....
My wife and I too have Wilderness Pongo kayaks and have tried fishing from them with limited success. The ease of launch, shallow draft and the advantage of taking the kayaks along while Podding makes it very tempting to pursue. The problem I have is my technique which I need to refine significantly to make it more enjoyable.   My biggest problem of course is trying to maintain direction in the lightest wind. Without replacing my boat with a foot powered model  is there anything I can do to make occasional fishing easier? I'm interested in discussing or seeing others boats and  set up. Any advice offered would be greatly appreciated.
Mark & Vicki
R-POD 178 & 2015 Silverado 5.3L
Weimeraner "Zeke"
Band Leader View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 12:29pm
I troll with a rattletrap lure from my Old Town anglerkayak on a local lake with good success. Gotta get a pickup rack so I can take the kayak with my new Rpod178.
2016 R Pod 178
2001 Ford F 150 Triton V8
Kayaks and old folks bicycles
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Markie

....   My biggest problem of course is trying to maintain direction in the lightest wind. Without replacing my boat with a foot powered model  is there anything I can do to make occasional fishing easier?...

You might try an anchor trolley and a sea anchor.  With the trolley, you can orient your yak relative to the wind any way you like: into the wind, downwind, or any point in between.  With a sea anchor, you'll still drift with the wind but slowly.  If you're in very shallow water, you could use an anchor pole instead of the sea anchor.  Good luck!
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
Markie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 8:56pm
Mark & Vicki
Weimeraner "Zeke"
Markie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 9:09pm
I havent tried trolling but that seems like a good idea. I will have to check into the anchor trolley, I never heard of that. Do you guys have a favorite tackle box/vest or recommended method to manage tackle and what about managing the paddle? Do you use a shorter paddle? Thanks for the advice guys. 
Mark & Vicki
Weimeraner "Zeke"
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 11:07pm
You don't say whether your yak is a sit-in or sit on top.  Mine's a sit on top, very handy style for fishing.

On managing tackle, some folks like a soft bag (like an insulated lunch bag) they put under bungies behind the seat.  Others like something larger like a milk crate they can zip-tie rod holders on to.  I've got built-in rod holders so just keep a handful of lures in a small case.  Don't need the milk crate. You have to adjust, of course, if you're using live bait.  There are purpose-built buckets for live shrimp, minnows but that's more of a challenge in a yak, esp if it's a sit-in rather than a sit on top.  

On paddles, I use a paddle leash.  Also have a paddle clip on the side of the boat.  I'd personally rather have a paddle that's too long rather than too short.  Mine's either 87" or 89", can't remember which. Best thing to remember on paddles is: light is good.  Paying extra for a lightweight paddle is money well spent IMHO.

Markie, you might want to go directly to a kayak/angling forum like Paddling.net.  There may even be one focused on your state or area.  Here in TX, for example, there's TexasKayakFisherman.com.  My guess is you'll have a much larger group of people as a kayaking resource than you'll find in an Rpod forum.  

Just a thought.  Good luck!
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 8:55am
We keep it pretty simple when we fish with our kayaks. Wife really likes her Splash Deck and rod holder. For tackle we just use a couple of small Pelican (waterproof) cases and pull some tackle from main tackle box just for the outing. We use the Pelican cases for other stuff we want to keep dry too. Lv2Q's sit-on-top is probably better for fishing and easier to board if you do flip it while landing the big one! - see You-Tube link below Star -fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>