R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerators

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generators
    Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 7:50pm
Anyone familiar with the Briggs and Stratton 3000 watt inverter generator. I'm thinking about purchasing one to run things when I'm dry camping. It's a pretty good price. 
Alaskan RPoder
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 8:32pm
Don't know if this is the one you're talking about, but there's one on Amazon for $1300.  For an additional $31, you get a Yamaha 2400.  An extra couple hundred gets a Yamaha 2800.  An extra 500 or so gets a Yamaha 3000.  Personally, I'd pay a little extra to get known reliability.  YMMV.  Smile

I've been researching these things for months.  Champion, Hyundai, Kipor etc, etc.  You'll find people who love 'em.  Then you keep looking and you find problems that show up.  You just don't see that with Honda or Yamaha.  Honda is probably the real Cadillac of the bunch, but you pay for it.  The good news is that people who have them get *years* of use out of them.  As I say, YMMV.

Hope this helps.  Good luck with whatever you go with.
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
funks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 10:44pm
I don't know anything about the briggs and stratton but I do have two generators and I always like to take my honda 2000i over my other one because I not only get the power I want but the weight and noise is a lot less.  Smile
Good luck
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 12:42am
It may not be fair to get all these comments from people unfamiliar with the B&S gennie, but aside from known quality, the reason Yamaha and Honda cost more, and are worth it, is because of their noise level.  Quiet is worth a lot.  Compare dB levels when you compare prices.

I have a Yamaha 2400 that still starts with one easy pull every time after two years.

I highly recommend ethanol-free gas for small engines.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
funks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 12:49am
I agree noise level really means  alot when it comes to generators.
Alaskan RPoder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 1:49am
Can you run your air conditioner unit with the 2400 watt Yamaha. 
Alaskan RPoder
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 8:48am
Originally posted by Alaskan RPoder

Can you run your air conditioner unit with the 2400 watt Yamaha. 

The Yamaha 2400isch is the smallest generator that RELIABLY starts the a/c.
chiman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 10:14am
I just got my new Yamaha 2400 generator yesterday.  Unpacked it from the shipping box.  Put oil in it and gas.  90% of the reviews I read before buying it said it started with one pull right out of the crate.  Thought this might be some BS but low and behold it did start right up on the first pull!  Ran it for a while and then hooked up my 178 cord and tried the air conditioner and the Yamaha ran it fine.

In my opinion, if you want quiet and a generator that will run the air conditioner and is still somewhat compact, the Yamaha 2400 is the way to go.  It is a little heavy (75 lbs) is not cheap (paid $1300 for mine) but so far it is worth the price.
Cheers
2017 180 "Frog" towed by 2017 Toyota Tacoma with co-pilot "Willow" a 80 lb Labradoodle
marspball View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 1:09pm
I bought a Boliy 3000w generator for $1000 (http://www.bottomlinetrading.com/BOLIY.html).

It's very quiet, lightweight, easy to operate and dependable. And best of all, it runs my air conditioner and fridge at the same time (have to turn off the battery charger though, which is not a big deal).
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 4:15pm
Additional info.  When shopping for gensets you need to know there are 2 classes of generators.  One is the old-style contractor screamers that run at 3600 rpm all the time, and rarely have noise attenuation.  They are usually just called a "generator".  The other type is the newer "inverter-generator".  They have the ability to idle down when there is a lower load, and usually run lower than 3000 rpm even at full load.  In addition there are other steps taken to lower the noise level even more.  Just about the quietest one on the market is the Honda EU3000is.  Even the smaller models are slightly louder.

Other than noise, there are big differences in fuel consumption.  With a typical load, an inverter-generator will last roughly 8-10 times longer on a given quantity of gas.  My Honda EU3000is burns 0.13 gallons/hour on average running most of my house (all 120 volt loads), and about the same running the pod.  I used to have the Yamaha EF2400is and it burned 0.2 gallons/hr running my pod (fan on low, A/C compressor cycling).

Also keep an eye on the fuel tank size and fuel pump.  The reason I switched to the Honda, even though I loved my Yamaha, is the Yamaha only lasted me 8 hours of run time, and since it doesn't have a fuel pump it is difficult to add an external fuel tank.  My Honda lasts about 24 hours and I believe up to the 3000 watt model (and below) they all have fuel pumps so it is easy to add more run time.

Finally keep in mind that a generator loses 3.5% of its rating per 1000 feet above sea level, PLUS it loses 1% for each 10 F degrees above 60 F.  So if it is 90 F and you are at 4000 feet, you must derate your genset by 17%!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>