R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedsway bar needed with F150 and the 178? - Event Date: 05 Mar 2015 - 15 Mar 2015

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: sway bar needed with F150 and the 178?
    Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 9:51am
Dear Friends,
We are about to get started using our 2015 R Pod 178.  We are pretty darned excited about it!  Currently I will be pulling it with a Ford F150.  When I brought it home from the dealer I noticed it bounced along a bit so I think I'll go ahead and put the stabilizing hitch on it.  I am wondering if I need to do a sway bar as well?  I would like your input and advice.
Next year I will be changing vehicles and will be pulling it with a Ford Explorer AWD and I'll get one with the 5000 lb capacity so I guess the question will be the same?
Thanks in advance for any info I can get!  I think I'll go get it set up in a week or so.
Much appreciated
Loren and Sally in Bend
Loren and Sally and Bear
Rpod 178 2015
Bend Oregon
jan demarinis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 10:05am
I towed my '14 178 with a BMW X3 and found that the anti-sway really helped. Especially on the interstates. A WDH was mandatory also. Good luck and welcome to the Pod side.
Jan
2014 178 HRE
The Podyssey
2013 BMW X3 35i
Prodigy RF Brake Controller
ChinookPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 6:44pm
We pull our 171 using a WDH (spring bars).  For short trips to and from the storage yard we leave the bars off but the bouncing/porpoising is noticeable on less-than-perfect streets.  The WDH really dampens the bounce.  Our hitch also has an equalizer bar but we were told it isn't necessary for such a short trailer.  We have significant winds (up to 80 mph) not uncommon but the trailer stays put behind the truck.
2014 RP171 HRE
2010 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 7:03pm
First, see the link in my signature, the section on sway control.  Below is a recent post I made about WDHs.

There are 4 types of sway and/or weight distribution, with the sway bar being the lowest level.  It doesn't do any WD and only attempts to stop sway after it has started.  However, I always recommend the next level for pods, a full WDH that includes sway control.  The lowest level here is a combined WD with friction control, like the Equalizer or E2.  Above that is the cam type like the Reese Dual Cam, which actively prevents sway before it starts.  The highest level is the Hensley Arrow which actually guarantees no sway period.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
rpodbend View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 10:03am
Much appreciate all the information from you guys!  Ok I am headed down to get it set up.
thanks again
Loren 
Loren and Sally and Bear
Rpod 178 2015
Bend Oregon
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 10:42am
We use a WDH, and definitely don't "need" it, by spec. We don't run anti sway, but our new TV does have it built in. Our old TV was same make/model/specs minus the integrated brake controller and anti sway and we never had a sway issue. We towed two full seasons without using our WDH, and then I said, "you know, we own it, lets see if it makes a difference" and we felt the big eX rode better, so have used it ever since. 
 Post Reply Post Reply