R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed177 Overhead Bed Cabinet (Headbanger) Mod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 177 Overhead Bed Cabinet (Headbanger) Mod
    Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 10:41am

Now that the last of the trim is cut, the headbanger cabinet mod is mostly done! Still need to caulk and hide the nail heads, but close enough for posting.  It's very possible that I forgot some steps in this recap, since I did this slowly over the course of a few weeks.

Here's the original cabinet, over the queen bed in the 177.  

Folks with the overhead entertainment cabinet know that the stock TV screen will turn to be viewed in bed, but doesn't tilt, so can't comfortably be watched from the bed. And the 9 inch screen is so small that watching it from the dinette seats is kinda pointless.  We're not big TV watchers to begin with, so we didn't care to upgrade the screen, especially in its original location. It was really the placement of the cabinet over the bed that was bothersome, in the way of ease for sitting in the bed, or for the inside person to have any chance of stepping over the outside sleeping person in the middle of the night.  So, I decided to remove it, and relocate the wiring to the foot of the bed--which for us is at the bathroom end of the bed.

And, thanks to Jarpod, who posted about moving his headbanger, and answered some questions I had! His post is at http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5164&PID=58015#58015

What I did: 
Removed the flip tv/dvd from cabinet
-unplugged power and cable line
-unscrewed the 4 bolts inside the cabinet

Shut down shore power and disconnected battery power to the pod, then disconnected the electrical and cable outlets in the cabinet. Miraculously, I remembered to snap a pic of the back of the cable outlet with all the wires still plugged in, for future reference.

Removed the cabinet
--ran a razor along all the caulk lines
--unscrewed all the visible screws from inside the cabinet. 

**important note! Before unscrewing those screws, remove the trim and bottom piece of wood from under the cabinet! There are some more screws hiding there which will cause great angst if you've removed all the other screws first!!*

Shifted the wires & cables
--removed the white trim between the beige wall panel and the white ceiling panel
--pried up the edge of the ceiling paneling
--shifted the wires and cables to the corner

Wow, there were buckets of sawdust and wood chunks under there! There was enough wire/cable to reach to the bathroom end of the bed. Jarpod's mod moved the wires to the other end of the bed, and he needed to add extra wire. So I was lucky!

--trimmed out a new hole at the edge of the ceiling panel to all the wires to get through, then nailed the edge of the paneling back down.

New electrical box:
--carefully disassembled the cabinet and reused many of the pieces to enclose the outlets in the new location
--reused the same face section with the cutouts for the outlets for the face of the box and piece of the side section. Reusing that side piece meant I didn't have to try to cut something to match the ceiling curve

I managed to get it all solidly attached back to the wall, and reused the trim to hide all the screw holes attaching it to the wall. Oh! And before fully closing up this box, I added a 12v plug by tapping into the antennae booster wiring. Th3 12v plug fit very nicely into the existing round hole that was already cut in the section of cabinet I was reusing. Please note, that we will only be using that new 12v plug for changing small electronics, nothing with an inverter. I also upgraded the electrical receptacle to one that had USB sockets.

I had a piece of 1/8" thick wood cut wide enough to hide the holes from the old wire location (4") and long enough to reach from the new box to the head of the bed (58"). I found some paintable wallpaper with a similar texture to the ceiling, covered the trim, and nailed it to the wall.

To finish this mod off, I added the infamous Lowes shelf over the window at the foot of the bed. I used hollow door anchors to attach the shelf to the walls where I didn't find other support. Then I hung the old tv from the shelf. It's unlikely we'll use the tv much, but it's way less obnoxious in this new location. And, it is more comfortable to sit in bed and view the screen in the new location. 

The new wider trim hid the biggest holes from the old cabinet location, but you can still see the screw holes in the ceiling panel.  I did clean up the edges and caulk the holes, but they're still visible.  Also, the brown caulking from the old cabinet was a beast to get off the white paneling. it's still faintly stained.  I may decide to trim those holes better, fill and repaint that whole panel.  Or find some fun art to hide that section of the wall/ceiling.

2011 RP 177
2013 Silverado 1500
HodgePod Album
Travel Blog
West Virginia Girls View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 6:15pm
We'd love to do this too!!!
Billie & Debbie
Furry friends: Jake & Mollie
2013 RPOD 177
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 7:27pm
Nice job!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
fionasol View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 1:21pm
One last update on this mod. Whenever I looked at the ceiling from the bed in the Pod, I was still bothered by the patching job I did from the old head-banger. So I bartered some of my handmade pottery for this custom piece from an artist friend. She did a fantastic job.

Our friend also knows us as swing dancers, so she created our feet dancing through nature. Smile

There are also bits of maps hiding throughout the background of the painting. 
And she incorporated a clip of a quote from Ed Abbey's "Desert Solitaire"

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds...where something strange and more beautiful and more full of wonder than your deepest dreams waits for you. "

So happy to have this lovely bit of art traveling along with us. I think it's going to inspire me to reread some of my favorites by Abbey. If you haven't read any of his books...you should!

The full quote that we clipped to fit the space on the art piece is even better in its entirety:

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through pastoral valleys tinkling with bells, past temples and castles and poets' towers into a dark primeval forest where tigers belch and monkeys howl, through miasmal and mysterious swamps and down into a desert of red rock, blue mesas, domes and pinnacles and grottos of endless stone, and down again into a deep vast ancient unknown chasm where bars of sunlight blaze on profiled cliffs, where deer walk across the white sand beaches, where storms come and go as lightning clangs upon the high crags, where something strange and more beautiful and more full of wonder than your deepest dreams waits for you --- beyond that next turning of the canyon walls."
Edward Abbey

2011 RP 177
2013 Silverado 1500
HodgePod Album
Travel Blog
CpLp95 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 7:00am
Where did you find the wallpaper to match the ceiling texture?
2014 178
2021 Honda Ridgeline
 Post Reply Post Reply