Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions: North Rim of the Grand Canyon
    Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 10:53am
Hola fellow Pod Peeps - 

We went to the South Rim last year and it was awesome.  The crowds were quite amazing.  Even in the "off season" they were considerable.  I would still not miss it because of the people, but we have been hearing that the North Rim is much less crowded and has some amazing views. I was looking on Google maps to see what I could see.  It seems much more undeveloped (which is good).  I am just wondering if there is a road that follows the canyon like there is on the South rim?  I can't seem to see one on the map.  And I would love to hear your experiences there and any photos.

Melissa (and Buck)
2015 RP 178 aka Podimus Minimus
3/4 Ton Suburban TV
barbanjoe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 11:36am
We went there the first week of september in 2012. Had a little snow in the canyon on our way in. From Jacob lake the road goes straight into the canyon ending at the north rim lodge. About a mile walk from the edge is a campground, paved roads, water,dump station, and a toilet /sink building in each loop. No electric or water at sight. Reservations required and can be made on line. A general store,cafe and coffee are nearby.
BarbanJoe
010 Rpod 171
02 Jeep 4x4
12 Ram 1500
J&Jcf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 5:05pm
I like it better than the south rim. Campground is smaller and reservations are almost a must. There are some national forest campgrounds in the area. It is totally different environment than south rim. Elevation is higher. Lots of ponderosa pines and different animals.
J. - 2011 rpod 171
GlennZippy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 4:55pm
I'm not sure if anyone has tried it with a pod or not but we tented on Locust Point this year. It's in the national forest so officially it is dispersed camping but it is pretty neat. The Rainbow rim trail is there as well for hiking or mountain biking. It's one of the only trails on the rim of the Grand Canyon where you can mountain bike. If you happened to fall in the canyon you would technically be in the National Park as it starts at the rim.

The road getting in was in rough shape due to the rain/snow we were experiencing but if it were dry I think a pod could make it back in there if one was careful and slow. I know when we finally get ours we are going to consider another trip there.
2010 R-Pod 152
 Post Reply Post Reply