R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedr-pod for Northern Alaska and Canada

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: r-pod for Northern Alaska and Canada
    Posted: 07 May 2015 at 3:14pm
Hello, I'm new to the forum and, to date, have camped in tents and the back of my pickup.  At age 56, I've decided that when the mosquitoes are bad or the weather cold and rainy, I want to cook/eat/sleep/poop indoors.  I live in Fairbanks and have driven quite a few of the roads around, including several trips up and down the Haul Road (Dalton Highway).  In my view, these roads are typically quite passable (but not always), and frequently the gravel roads are easier on the vehicles than the frost-heaved pavement.

It's hard to find a good supply of campers here in Fairbanks, and there seem to be a few more in Anchorage, and I'll go down this weekend to check them out.  On my radar are the r-pod (something like a RP 172 Hood River), Jayco Hardwall (A-frame) Baja, and Jayco Jay Lite 154 BH Baja.

I wonder if there are users here that have experience using the Hood River r-pods frequently on a road system like we have here in Alaska, and might offer any advice before I jump in.  I expect most of my usage will be "off grid."

Many thanks,

Don
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 5:40pm
Welcome!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 6:54pm
Hello Alaskan,
We have a 2009 R Pod 173 that we have used extensively for boondocking.  We have made a lot of modifications to make it easier and more efficient.  the Rpod is a great little travel trailer for us-a couple of active retired mid 60's people who love to travel.  We usually take our bikes and a canoe.  We use it mostly for longer travel and camping-not usually weekends or campsites.  We have been on road trips as long as 11 weeks in our pod.We have made round trips  from NC to California, NC to Florida several times, NC to New York.  We have towed it about 18,000 miles so far.

I'm not familiar with your other choices, so I can't compare them.  I like the RPod because it is self contained for boondocking.  We use 2 6 volt , deep cell golf cart batteries, have installed all LED lights, the propane will last for several weeks worth of cooking and heating. The fresh water tank is plenty large enough and so are the black and gray tanks.  It's not too small to use for a week without having to refuel, dump or refill the water if we are careful.  I should note that we don't use the water heater or shower when boondocking-we use a sun shower and heat water on the stove.  the 3 way refrigerator(AC/DC/propane ) works well and is large enough for our food.  We use a Engel cooler for part of the foods and drinks  that don't need to be ultra-cold.  The RPod is big enough(barely) for the 2 of us to be comfortable and cozy. We have modified our pod so that we have a permanent dinette area with a solid, stable table.  Our double bed is easy to set up in the rear.We added some removable counter top space(over the bed) and fold down shelves so the kitchen area is totally adequate for cooking.  We always take a small propane grill with us and cook meats on it almost every night. We use the R Dome if we will be in one place more than 2 days.

I don't know about the roads in Alaska(it's on our bucket list to find out!!) but I understand they can be rough.  We have towed our pod along many miles of dirt roads without incident.  It will take some minor modifications to keep the cabinet doors and drawers closed.  We drove it on the road to Chaco Canyon which is the worst road I've ever towed on-continuous rutted, washed out and bumpy for 25 miles-at 15 mph with no issues.  The pod is light enough to be towed easily if you are properly equipped.  The running gear(wheels, brakes, lights, etc) seem to be adequate for the unit.

I think the R Pod is a good choice -particularly if you are handy and like to tinker and modify it.  Read through the past pages of this forum and you will get some great ideas about the mods as well as good info about R Pods in general.

If for some reason I had to replace ours, I would definitely buy another R Pod and would look very carefully at a slide unit.

Hope this helps some-be glad to answer any specific questions.

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
freezingalaskan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 3:16pm
Don,
I live in Anchorage and have driven our 172 on Seward Hwy mostly. Sold it two weeks ago in pristine condition to get the 179 model. I have been very happy with the RPod and have never had any issues with towing it with a Volvo XC90 which has a 5000 pound tow rating. The extra height and beefier tires that come with the Hood River edition is preferred in Alaska and the only one available unless someone brought up an "east coast" model privately. I can highly recommend the RPod from my personal experience.

freezingalaskan
Volvo XC90 '13
rPod 179 '16
 Post Reply Post Reply