R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4 Tongue mods on 178

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 Tongue mods on 178
    Posted: 11 May 2015 at 10:30pm
The heavier the spring bars are, the more "effort" it takes to flex them. They need to flex. If they can't flex they transfer tons of shock to the trailer. This breaks stuff. Our other camper is an Airstream. In the 'stream world, running with to heavy of spring bars means replacing rivets after every tow.. If 1000lb bars were the answer, there would be no reason to have them available at any other weight.

By tweaking, do you mean redoing the set up? and if so, what is the procedure you are using. I have heard and read some pretty interesting ideas on "the right way"..

And guessing at weights is iffy, as far as trailers go, because you can add a ton, and not change the tongue weight an ounce. We own a tongue weight scale, and have driven over truck scales, loaded for camping, and had the trailer weighed, so we know where we are. I run a 550 spring bar, it's a bit heavy (but not much) for the pods 405lb tongue weight, but near dead on perfect for the 'stream, at 550 +/-.. Smile

We towed the pod without a WDH for 3 seasons, only tried it because of people saying it improved the ride.. tried it, have used it ever since.
Appocalexx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 2:33am
Got this link off another forum im on, a type of DIY tongue weighing solution. Seems legit, hope it helps.

fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by furpod

By tweaking, do you mean redoing the set up? and if so, what is the procedure you are using. I have heard and read some pretty interesting ideas on "the right way"..

Thanks furpod. I definitely defer to those more knowledgeable on the subject of weight distribution.

As I said, I haven't had any noticeable/uncomfortable problems towing quite a few miles, but since I haven't driven other rigs I really wouldn't know. I did notice a significant pleasurable difference when I swapped my Prodigy Voyager for the P3 last year, so I thought I would try to understand my weight distribution better. Maybe I can make it better? Visually, the trailer and TV are level.

My plan is to start by weighing things: Tongue weight and everything we carry aft of the TV axle and before tongue (bicycles, bike rack, generator). As soon as I have opportunity, I will weigh pod and TV. No convenient scales around me. Perhaps next week during a planned trip with all the toys.

Interestingly, we recently did a couple thousand mile trip to Florida and back without bikes, bike rack, generator or a couple hundred pounds of gear we had crossing country last year. I honestly did not notice any difference in handling.

Any tidbits on "the right way" would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by fwunder

Any tidbits on "the right way" would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Fred

This is as close as I can find to how I was taught to do it that I could find after watching a half dozen videos.. I like no more than 1/2" of "settle in the rear. Keeps the headlights happy..

Setup

EDIT: This one is good too..
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 3:42pm
See this link for an extensive tutorial on "dialing in" a WDH.  http://www.rv.net/FORUM/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/17730894.cfm
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 7:08pm
Holy trunnion bar Doug! That's a great write up. And I thought I was obsessing on this!

I'm thinking this weekend will be good to test all this stuff. We'll be loaded with all the toys (and Henry, the cat) and be parked on a nice level spot @ Assateague. I've repacked everything and will weigh tongue for grins before we leave. I think there might be a Flying J along the way from Philly south on the Eastern Shore with scales to weigh everything. You done that?

The dual cam anti-sway is real tempting. Sway hasn't been an issue for me (yet), but those look really nice.

Thanks!

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 9:33pm
I should, but have never weighed a rig.  We'll be right behind you this weekend at Castaway's.  And our former pod will be at Assateague.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
IPPOD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 1:26pm
Bobditch,
 Great mods.
Specially like your double tank setup.
Before you travel very far w/ those bikes on the rear, follow your rig w/ the bikes on.
I have observed much shacking.
There is discussion on this site about rack breaking from the shacking.
Therefor I went w/ the Arvika Rack on the front, about the tanks. ( very smooth ride & you can see them)
Just my 2 cents,

IP Pod
IPPOD
177=2013
Grand Cherokee 2014 5.7
Island Park, Id
PODSKI View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 3:28pm
Two tongue weights listed in this thread are slightly over 400 and almost 500 pounds. My question are these tongue weights measure with or without water. The one at 400 is a 178 with the water and water heater water in the back. The 178 I am looking at has an empty tongue weight of 170 pounds and a dry trailer weight of 2632.   Adding water to the trailer (full tank and water heater) will reduce the tongue weight by about 100 lbs. So my question is where is the extra tongue weight coming from. The extra lpg gas and batteries probably add about 100 lbs.
PODSKI
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 4:10pm
Forest River specs the Hitch weight of a 178 at 257lbs. I have not a clue if that includes a LPG tank and battery or even how accurate that number is. My hitch weighed about 500lbs with 2 full tanks, 2 batteries, power hitch, spare tire, misc gear stored under dinette and bed, empty fresh water and a full water heater tank and no bike carrier or bikes on the rear receiver. And I'll also add that I have not a clue how accurate my friends scale is - full disclosure. 
My Xterra hitch drops about ¾" when I hookup the trailer and I'm very satisfied how it pulls. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>