R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4 Tongue mods on 178

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 Tongue mods on 178
    Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 4:48pm
Really good Info   Nice job,looks good   Thank You
PODSKI View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 4:55pm
Thank you for the response. The tongue weight I listed was incorrect--it should have been 270 lbs. I weighed it at the dealer. Without water and what you have on your tongue assuming a 178 with the water tank in the rear, your weight seems about what it should be. Adding a full tank of water will reduce the tongue weight by almost 100 lbs. (in a 178).
The reason I am asking these questions is that I already have a trailer (non Pod) and the weight certificate in the trailer says that the tongue is 270 but it is actually 340 and that is without propane. The certified weights are supposed to include the gas bottle with propane, no options, no battery and no fresh water. The particular trailer I have has the water heater and tank in the front and when I add just water I am well over the tongue weight I wish to carry. My goal is about 400 lbs of tongue weight. The certificate in my present trailer also states that it can be pulled with a vehicle with a Class II hitch (3500 lbs and 350 lb tongue weight). The tow vehicle I bought to use with this trailer is a Ford Edge and it has a Class II hitch on it. I trusted the manufacturers certification when buying my tow vehicle and no find out that it is incorrect. I believe the 49CFR requires certification of the trailer's weight, but tongue weight is not mentioned. Still the maker of my present trailer, has minimally made and error in advertising. This is why I am looking at the PODs and specifically the 178 as it will meet my goal of 400. lbs tongue weight and 3500 lbs. total. I presently use an Andersen hitch with the Ford Edge and while it levels the trailer, it leaves the nose of the tow vehicle slightly up. The factory hitch may be "torqueing" because of the load. These comments are made based on my present trailer having a tongue weight of 500 lbs., which is how it comes out when loaded for a trip, fresh water included.
PODSKI
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 5:19pm
My concern would be your tow capacity of 3500 lbs and the GVWR of the 178 is 3745 lbs.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 5:28pm

This may help:

Travel Trailer Weight Calculator

The primary purpose of this calculator is to answer the question: "How heavy a travel trailer can I tow?"

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-tt.shtml

PODSKI View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 7:46pm
BobDitch,
An interesting calculator and fun to use. I don't agree with the safety factor entry as I believe the ratings provided for both TT's and TV's already have a safety factor built in. A class II hitch therefore is rated at 3500 max and 350 tongue.   As far as the weight capacity of the trailer goes it does not matter if that exceeds the tow capacity of the TV as long as the trailer is only loaded to the TV's capacity considering both tongue weight and pulling weight.
PODSKI
Marx View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 6:53am
A good inspiration for me, thanks!
2014 R-POD 177
D. K. CAMPERS View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 7:08am
looking great. pictures very helpful
Deb and Kathy
PODSKI View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 8:56am
Podders,
And as the debate rages on, I add this link. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2008/02/the-great-american-anti-towing-conspiracy/
PODSKI
PODSKI
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 9:44am
I've said here before, if you have a TV with a 3500 pound tow rating the heavier pods like the 178 are extremely marginal.  Don't carry water in any of the tanks (maybe a gallon or two for on-the-road bathroom use) and keep heavier stuff like antigravity chairs in the TV.

Remember that the actual weight (Unloaded Vehicle Weight) shown on the pod is the weight at the factory before add-ons - for the 178 that is 2535 pounds.  A/C, propane tank, battery, Dome, sewer hose, water hose aren't included and add several hundred pounds.  Then add  clothes, food, drinks, camping accessories like chairs and you have hundreds more.  With your typical camper you can expect to add 800-1000 pounds above the UVW.  Which is why carrying tanks full of water can never happen with a 3500 tow rating.

I agree that US tow ratings (and even the ratings in other countries) are much too low compared to actual capability and safety.  Hopefully the new tow rating standards that just went into effect for all manufacturers will fix that.  Until then, loading above your listed ratings can leave you with no insurance payout and lawsuits if you get into an accident.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
PODSKI View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 12:03pm
Hello Techntrek,
I was wondering when you would jump in on this one. What you have stated is not quite accurate. The weight on the trailer as shipped from the factory is reflected in the weight sticker on each trailer. The one I am considering has a weight posted of 2632 which is unique to that trailer an unlike the other ones on the dealer's lot. I made it a point to check this as I my present trailer is over the certified weight. This weight sticker is required by 49CFR and includes the options from the factory but not any dealer installed items. Of course the trailer is dry no water.   I believe that this weight is also to include the full load (20 lbs.) of propane, but there seems to be some confusion on that issue. In the comments to the proposed rules in 49CFR the RV industry seemed to indicate that the propane should be included. Whatever the propane is only 20 lbs.
As far as the tongue weight, that is not mentioned. I weighed the tongue on an alike equipped 178 on the dealers lot and it weighed in at 271 lbs and the weight sticker was 2638. These weights are without battery, propane, water, or owners gear but do include options which were AC, TV, Microwave.
I don't know about other folks, but in my experience we carry with water in the tank and heater (300 lbs.), about 900 lbs. That puts my total weight just over 3500 lbs for the trailer.   I have calculated where I plan to put weight and conservatively estimate that my tongue weight will be about 350 lbs. Without any fresh water that tongue weight would rise to more than 450 lbs because all of the fresh water would be located behind the axle. As we would use water enroute to our destination (we dry camp at WalMart enroute)we would transfer water to just behind the axle (grey tank) and just in front of the axle (black tank). This is all assuming a 178. So as we travel our tongue weight would increase slightly over our approximate 350 lbs assuming most of the solids would go into the black tank and the liquids into the grey.
Anyway, that is my story so far and I am sticking to it.
Can you enlighten me on the new tow rating standards? Are these federal or RVIA. Any links to this info?
Thanks for your input and the forum. It has helped me make a decision and I will soon own an RPOD 178.
PODSKI
PODSKI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>