R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTorsion axle assembly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torsion axle assembly
    Posted: 17 May 2015 at 3:58pm
Folks,
Keep an eye on your trailer's wheels/tires while you're driving especially at speed. I took my pod into a local dealer for some warranty trim work in March and on the way noticed my driver's side tire wobbling. It took the dealer 3-4 weeks to get to it and they found the torsion axle assembly to be defective. I just bought the pod in Feb and had only driven from Oregon back to SF. Well, it took FR another 3-4 weeks to get to it, but they did replace the entire assembly under warranty just in time for my trip to Utah. The dealer said they've replaced 3 TA assemblies on pods just in this year. It may be a common problem? And I'm sure it'd be expensive out of warranty. fyi
2002 Toyota Tundra
2015 R Pod 178
Next adventure?
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 4:19pm
   Could you tell us who is the manufacturer? I wonder if Forest River has used different manufacturers. 
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

ausdland View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 4:39pm
Sorry, idk. I do know FR doesn't manufacture the axle; they had to get one from the actual manufacturer then ship to the dealer.
2002 Toyota Tundra
2015 R Pod 178
Next adventure?
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 4:47pm
FR uses two manufacturers, Dexter and Lippert. They are both long established manufacturers with a good reputation. Airstream uses the same manufacturers and components. And has for decades. A replacement is not all that expensive, but paying a shop to order and instal it may be. If you order one "drum to drum" it would be 4 bolts and 4 wire connections to change. I've helped with a couple on older 'streams. Ours are 35 years old, and still sit fine.

As far as knowing which you have, look under the trailer and read the label. It really is that easy. In fact there are some codes on it that describe the axle, and could be handy to have a picture of if you at some time in the future needed to order a replacement on YOUR dime.. :)
Alaskan Road Warrior View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:09am
I bought my 2012 R pod 172 and love it. Just drove home to Alaska and noticed that one of my tires (door side) wore very uneven. The middle of the tire looks new. There is only 5-7 thousand on tires. Wondering if it could be axle trouble? I did have the wheel bearings done before I hit the rode. We keep proper pressure and not overloaded. Thanks for any suggestions. Thank you Ausdland for the post. Happy Memorial Weekend to all
Safe travels,See ya down the trails....Thank you
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 8:43am
Originally posted by Alaskan Road Warrior

I bought my 2012 R pod 172 and love it. Just drove home to Alaska and noticed that one of my tires (door side) wore very uneven. The middle of the tire looks new. There is only 5-7 thousand on tires. Wondering if it could be axle trouble? I did have the wheel bearings done before I hit the rode. We keep proper pressure and not overloaded. Thanks for any suggestions. Thank you Ausdland for the post. Happy Memorial Weekend to all

Did it wear out on one side or both?

Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 10:25am
I believe that FR used Lippert axles for those PODS made out west and Dexter axles for those that were made in Indiana. Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 11:10am
I have an Indiana POD and it has a Lippert axle. Lippert is located in Indiana. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
 Post Reply Post Reply