R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwater heater bypass valve location

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: water heater bypass valve location
    Posted: 10 May 2017 at 1:41pm
Thumbs Up
Candy E
bikenpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 10:42am
I also own a new 179.  When winterizing the rig in October I successfully drained the system and pumped anti-freeze using the water pump under the bed.  It took about seven gallons, however,  which means I must have filled the hot water tank unnecessarily.  I never saw a bypass valve so I assumed this was proper procedure.  Where, exactly, does our crafty little valve like to hide?  On a related note, the knowledgable gentlemen at Jerry's RV in Bend, OR told me not to use the air purging method only.  It can apparently leave water in the system.  Thoughts?
2018 179
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 10:56am
There are usually 3 valves that you get to by taking off the kick panel in front of the WH or by taking off whatever is above the WH.  For winter, the 2 outside valves are off and the center valve is on.  Search Google images for RPOD water heater for pictures.  I guess now that it's in there it doesn't matter -- just leave it til Spring -- but aside from the cost you really don't want that stuff in the water heater.

As for air only, there are people who are adamant about how well it works and who have had excellent results with it.  I think it's risky.  To each his own.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by iamsister7

Where is the bypass in the 180? We're new, too, and don't have any idea. From the outside vent location, we assume it must be under the bed, but don't want to remove the whole bed to find out if it's not!!! LOL
Confused
if you climb under the matress in the 180,and unscrew the furnace grill you can remove the 1/8 veneer and get access to the valves. I made mine so it unscrews for easy access.
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 1:12pm
The reason you don't want RV antifreeze in the hot water tank is that it could corrode the anode rod. In any case, you will want to drain and flush the water heater in the spring anyway. If the anode rod is starting to look like a clothes hanger wire, then the sacrificial metal part is gone and needs replacing. Likely there will be sediment in the tank that will need to be flushed out anyway.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 2:59pm
+1 to SH. I pull anode rod as part of winterization, inspect/replace if necessary and flush inside HW heater. I use compressed air to remove water, so never change valves. Also I have a pipe fitting loosely put in water heater and when I dewinterize I flush WH and put anode rod back in, that way I flush WH twice a year. I was in POD today, it is in the upper 20s in TN today, I have small ceramic heater set on low and it was 60 in the POD. I keep cabinets and latrine door open. I believe if my POD were in storage and I couldn't effect temps inside I would antifreeze winterize. Also I keep small bowl of water in POD and make sure it never ices (actually my dog's water dish). Works for me because I have 365/24/7 access to POD with shore power and can control the inside temp. BTW - my battery voltage is at 13.2, which means it is in the trickle/float stage.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 3:28pm
Bikenpod, I have a 179 specific winterization video if you are interested for future reference. Just click the "My Rpod Videos" in my signature below. ~PP
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 8:28am
Can anybody send pictures of how to get to the valve? Taking out the mattress seems like a really bad design.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 8:57am
Rawest50,

I don't remove the bed, I lift the bed and plywood platform with a cut 2X4. Some have cut access panels to valves, other have installed struts. If I had to remove bed, the valves would never be changed:)
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12