R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNewbie with AC Outlet issues - Event Date: 14 May 2015 - 16 May 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Newbie with AC Outlet issues
    Posted: 17 May 2015 at 10:11pm
Very happy to be a proud owner of a new 182G & took it out on it's maiden voyage this weekend with the kiddo. Everything was great until we tried to watch a DVD. Sound was coming out but TV didn't work. Tried plugging my cellphone charger into same outlet & learned that didn't charge. Plugged charger into other interior outlets & those didn't work either. Read on this forum that it might be a GFCI issue & located that outlet. Tried to push the buttons & do not get the same "click" that I get in the house. The interior lights, radio, and furnace all worked great. Did not try to use the Frig. or A/C

Seperately, I plugged into my RPod at home (and turned switch on in front driver side panel) and I can't get Microwave to work. Thinking these issues may be related & joked with wife that "I don't know how to turn my RPod on"

Keep in consideration that I am a complete novice when it comes to electric & all this 120 vs. 12 and 30Amp stuff....Help!!!
CFWARREN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 10:22pm
Although you didn't say so, I assume that you are plugged into 30 amp electric service? 
All those things you said don't work, won't work on just battery power.
I'm not sure exactly what will or won't work on "household power", but I'm sure the microwave and AC won't.  The outlets should work on regular household power.  TV only works on 30 amp.
2016 179 - Hood River Edition
2008 Nissan Xterra
CFWARREN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 10:25pm
Correction, the TV should work on household power. 
The TV didn't work on battery, because the outlets don't work on battery.
Someone should make a list of what does and doesn't work on battery, household power, and/or 30 amp.
2016 179 - Hood River Edition
2008 Nissan Xterra
CreaganCondo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 11:07pm
I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know what the electric service is at my house. The campsite that I was at this weekend did not have a plugin. I'm going back out on Thursday and both sites that we're visiting will have 30 amp plugins. I'm really just concerned about the functionality of the outlets inside the Pod. I should add an additional question here: Does the switch in aforementioned utility box need to be turned on in order to charge the batteries from household power? I agree that a list would be very helpful! Smile
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 12:32am
Is your microwave plugged in.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 11:26am
With no plug-in service at your campground last weekend, I'm betting that is the problem.  A/C, microwave, some models of televisions, all outlets, all require that you be plugged in either at home or at a campsite.  Buy a 30 amp to 15 (or 20) amp "dog bone" adapter so you can plug your pod into an outlet at home.  Don't get one of the small "hockey puck" types of adapters.

As for the battery, make sure the battery is connected to the pod, and the pod is plugged in overnight, every 30 days.  Or leave the pod plugged in all the time.  Or get a trickle charger just for the pod's battery (you'll save a little electricity that way).  If you disconnect the pod between charges you must also disconnect the battery from the pod, or the LPG detector and fridge electronics will drain the battery in a week or two.  They make battery disconnects that are very easy to install that will make that job easier.

No reason to be embarrassed or worry about being confused.  We are all here to help no matter what the question.  At one point we were all newbies!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
CreaganCondo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 10:51pm
Thanks for the input!! This forum is soooo much friendlier than the mountain biking oneConfused 
To answer the previous question, I checked to see if the microwave was plugged in & don't see (even on the exterior panel behind microwave) where that physically happens so uhhhhhhh.... i don't know if it's plugged in. My Pod battery was showing 2/3 & I'm going to leave it plugged into home outlet tonight to see if it gets fed. Someone at work suggested I find a 30 Amp outlet in my house (via the fusebox) but alas I could not. 

This would all make sense if ALL these items required 30 Amp power but as the previous poster mentioned, the Pod outlets should work on home power...Ouch

marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 11:30pm
On our 172 the plug is above the shelf over the micro wave, in other models it my be in a cabinet.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 8:10am
You WON'T have a 30A outlet in your house that you can plug into. IF you have one, it will be for the dryer, and it is 30A but it isn't 120v. DO NOT attempt to plug into it. Many owners have added, or had added, a 30A 120v RV outlet. If you choose to do this, be very careful, electricians instal about 200 dryer outlets for each RV outlet, and they OFTEN do it wrong, because they are so used to doing a 30A 240v outlet. You will let the magic smoke out if you plug into that.

As I read it, your pod was not plugged in at the campsite. All the 120v stuff only works when plugged into a 120v outlet.

It also sounds like your pod is now plugged into an outlet at home, and your battery is not reading "full". When you are plugged into 120v power, you should ALWAYS see a "full" battery on the monitor panel. Even if you don't have a battery. The converter produces 12v for the pod and to charge the battery when plugged in.

Since your 12v stuff was working, we know the battery is hooked up, and that the fusses are good. My next thought is you should check the breakers in your pods power distribution box. It sounds like either the 30A main, or the converter breakers are thrown, at the very least. Your GFCI won't reset, if it doesn't have power.

Your microwave plugs in, inside the over sink cabinet, on the right.
Jpntime View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 10:48pm
 Just a quick note make sure you have your water heater off or have water in it so you don't burn it up 
 My house only has 20 amp circuit I cannot run the AC from the house but it will charge the battery 
Love to camp
2014 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>