R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNewbie with AC Outlet issues - Event Date: 14 May 2015 - 16 May 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Newbie with AC Outlet issues
    Posted: 19 May 2015 at 10:51pm
 I should've mentioned on the post before the circuit breaker kicked you off or the switch outside I believe shuts it off the red switch on the wall only stops it from working with propane 
Love to camp
2014 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 7:30am
Originally posted by Jpntime

Just a quick note make sure you have your water heater off or have water in it so you don't burn it up 
 My house only has 20 amp circuit I cannot run the AC from the house but it will charge the battery 

Actually most people are ok running their A/C from a 15 amp outlet at home since it uses about 1000 watts with the fan on low.  Just don't try to run anything else high-wattage at the same time.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 10:04am
Originally posted by techntrek

Just a quick note make sure you have your water heater off or have water in it so you don't burn it up 
 My house only has 20 amp circuit I cannot run the AC from the house but it will charge the battery 

Actually most people are ok running their A/C from a 15 amp outlet at home since it uses about 1000 watts with the fan on low.  Just don't try to run anything else high-wattage at the same time.

I'm able to run our AC at home using a 15 amp outlet & extension cord.  The Kil-A-Wat tells me, though, that voltage drops to ~108 when the compressor kicks on.  Right at the edge of a brown-out if I'm interpreting correctly.  I definitely don't turn on anything else (except the 12v lites) when the AC's on.
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
CreaganCondo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 10:31am
Something is definitely not right. Battery won't charge & outlets have never worked. Taking into my dealer before camping outing this weekend. Will report back....
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 8:26pm
Just want to be sure - did you get an adapter and plug the pod in at home?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 8:29pm
Tried puck & pigtail adapters...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 10:15pm
Well I'm happy to report that I do not have a dud. Cudos go out to Technetrek because I went back to the Pigtail adapter (NOT PUCK) an a different outlet from my house & BLAMOO!! a faint beep & the Pod came to life!! Outlets, TV, even lights on Microwave all came on & Battery reading full (which I understand to mean that the batteries are charging.) Food & adult beverages promptly loaded into frig for our (Now confident) excursion tomorrow & so happy that we figured it out the American way: NOT by reading instructions, NOT by taking it back to the dealer (which would have been more than a hassle) and NOT by giving up!! Trusting your new friends in the RPOD forum, some cursing, and a $6 Harbor Freight pigtail!!! HoooraaaaaayHug
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 1:04pm
Awesome!  Just be sure to charge the battery overnight every 30 days and before/after each trip, if you don't leave it plugged in all the time.  And if you do disconnect it between trips also disconnect the battery from the pod, or the LPG detector and the fridge electronics will kill it in a week or two.
techqueen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2015 at 9:32pm
From one newbie to another...

1)  When our Pod is plugged in at home using a 30 to 15 plug, the AC in the pod works just fine.  We have used the pod as a cool place on really hot days since our house does not have AC.  Best guest house ever!

2)  The GFCI plug in our pod has two black buttons that are really hard to see due to their location in a dark, low corner.  Our outlets were not working when plugged in to house power and it took me a while to realize that there were actually two buttons to press (as I knew there should be).  I eventually figured out which button to press to reset the system and, voila, the outlets work fine.

3)  Sometimes, plugging and unplugging the pod causes the system to trip so I have to reset it before everything works as expected.

4)  One Honda 2000 generator will run the microwave/convection oven just fine...I used it for baking cinnamon rolls...yummm!  

5)  We went with a pair of Honda 2000 generators in case we ever plan to camp where we might need the AC (also works as back up at the house if needed).  We went with generators over solar due to the issues of shade or cloud cover on the coast AND so we could run outlets, mic/conv oven and AC in addition to charging pod batteries.

6)  I still don't get the whole inverter and 12v stuff...I want to be able to charge small electronics off th batteries but need to figure out what plugs to add and how to do this next.
Honda Pilot plus 176T for me ;0)
JohnBG View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by techntrek

I can run the air on low on mine for about 5 minutes until it trips the house breaker.
2010 R-Pod RP-171
2010 Honda Ridgeline TV
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>