R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedsolar panels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: solar panels
    Posted: 19 May 2015 at 8:22pm
hello podders
looking for advice on solar panels for an r pod. the dealer that im dealing with is really pushing the zamp panels. they seem great but the price is pretty scary. i know the r pods have a zamp plug in but cant you get the zamp plug and install it on different panels ?
im wondering what you all else are using and if you like them.
thanks Jonathan

Star
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 9:20pm
If you search in the upper corner and run solar panels/use  you should see a bunch of pictures and posts that some of the podders 
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
MeeshyPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 10:02pm
We have a 160w Zamp solar panel and we love it (we got it back when we had our T@B and, luckily, the Pods are pre-wired for Zamp panels too). 

We didn't get it from the dealer, though, we got it online. I think we paid about $550. I would suggest looking online and shopping around, you can find good deals (the 160w panels normally retail for about $700 new). I can't remember what website we bought ours on, unfortunately, but I do remember it was refurbished. 

Actually, we originally ordered a refurbished 120w panel, but they shipped us a 160w. We don't know if it was a mistake or if they were out of stock on the 120w panels and just decided to ship us a 160w instead...we chose not to question it Wink 

Michelle & Curtis Nolting
2015 Rpod 179 (MeeshyPod)
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by 802 JJ

hello podders
looking for advice on solar panels for an r pod. the dealer that im dealing with is really pushing the zamp panels. they seem great but the price is pretty scary. i know the r pods have a zamp plug in but cant you get the zamp plug and install it on different panels ?
im wondering what you all else are using and if you like them.
thanks Jonathan
Star
The "Zamp" plug on the POD is nothing more than an SAE connector with #10 wire that runs directly to the battery. The Zamp set up is nice, if you want a plug and play quality system. If your into DIY and you like a challenge then designing your own system will allow you to create a solution to fit your specific needs. Oh, BTW, that is the first step...Identifying what it is that you wish to accomplish with your solar system. That's where all the real work is, determining the specifics of your power requirements and power use plan, then trying to create a solution that will replace your power consumption. This goes on going back and forth, adjusting your specifications to match hardware until you have a reasonable compromise. I use a 50w Renogy Mono Crystalline Panel with a 10amp solar charger bolted to the back. I use the setup at the beach in the Gulf of Mexico and have great access to good sun rays all day long with no trees or other shading obstacles in the way. I expect to achieve 20-25 Amp Hours of charge per day.  The sky is the limit, good luck and please come back and let us know how it works out.  

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Hayduke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 11:36pm
Zamp panels seem extremely overpriced for what they are IMO.

And previous poster is correct, the 'zamp' connector is just this, which isn't special:

2012 177 HRE
2017 Tacoma Double Cab
kylekai View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 11:33am
While the Zamp panels may be more expensive, just as a Porsche is more expensive than a VW, you tend to get what you pay for.  My Zamp solar panel is easy to carry, easy to setup, and it works great. 
Hayduke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by kylekai

While the Zamp panels may be more expensive, just as a Porsche is more expensive than a VW, you tend to get what you pay for.  My Zamp solar panel is easy to carry, easy to setup, and it works great. 

I tend to agree.  But I don't think Zamp is an example of this.  I bought a 120w foldable solar panel from solarblvd (looks like they're currently sold out), that does the exact same thing as the Zamp for under $200.
2012 177 HRE
2017 Tacoma Double Cab
robapperson View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 11:18am
Check out AM Solar. I have a 2015 Rpod 179 that I will add 160 panel to the roof. I also have a 28' Airstream we use for 3 to 4 month trips. I just put 360 watts of solar from AM Solar on it. Love it! High quality systems at a good price. They have an excellent tutorial on their website about solar. Read it, no matter who you buy from.
Rob
Rob
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 7:43pm
I'm sure that Zamp is good.  But outrageously over priced.  You can do the same thing at a fraction of the cost.  I like altE.com, but there are other sources that are as good, maybe even better. Solar power has come done in cost significantly over the past few years.
Gavin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by kylekai

Hi Folks, First time poster and about to buy my R-pod 176-t.
Anyway, that connection is just fine.
I have solar and wind systems for my home and have discovered Solar Panels can be way overpriced.
If seriously looking for panels I would seriously consider Sun Electronics in Miami.
I have no connection to them other than being a customer who bought 22, 225 watt panels from them and looked everywhere for the best quality/price.
They offer a LOT of different sizes, wattages and quality too.
You could probably and easily double your wattage for what you pay for that Zamp rig. I don't have their website but you can google them
All the best!
Gavin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>