R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedsolar panels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: solar panels
    Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 8:31am
Originally posted by Gavin

Originally posted by kylekai

While the Zamp panels may be more expensive, just as a Porsche is more expensive than a VW, you tend to get what you pay for.  My Zamp solar panel is easy to carry, easy to setup, and it works great. 

Hi Folks, First time poster and about to buy my R-pod 176-t.
Anyway, that connection is just fine.
I have solar and wind systems for my home and have discovered Solar Panels can be way overpriced.
If seriously looking for panels I would seriously consider Sun Electronics in Miami.
I have no connection to them other than being a customer who bought 22, 225 watt panels from them and looked everywhere for the best quality/price.
They offer a LOT of different sizes, wattages and quality too.
You could probably and easily double your wattage for what you pay for that Zamp rig. I don't have their website but you can google them
All the best!
Gavin
1st post seems spammy to me? Perhaps just coincidental....
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by 802 JJ

hello podders
looking for advice on solar panels for an r pod. the dealer that im dealing with is really pushing the zamp panels. they seem great but the price is pretty scary. i know the r pods have a zamp plug in but cant you get the zamp plug and install it on different panels ?
im wondering what you all else are using and if you like them.
thanks Jonathan
Star

You can read about what I and others have done to address this exact issue here.

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5017&title=connecting-a-100-watt-solar-panel-to-zamp-port

There is nothing special about the 'Zamp port'. It's a standard 2 wire universal connector socket, and you can find connectors at just about any hardware store of any size.

The only two sizable components you need to get going with a Zamp-ready plug in are a solar panel and a charge controller. You can get a 100 watt Renogy panel and a 10 amp charge controller on Amazon for under $200.

In the thread referenced above, I show how I connected my solar panel with an extension cord to my charge controller and then with a connector from the charge controller to the Zamp port. The connector I used has an in-line 10 amp fuse built in, and the fuses are identical to those used in automobiles.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 8:07am
Hi.

We just purchased a new RP-178.  I'd expect most of our camping to be in a campground with services.  I don't expect to do dry camping with the exception of perhaps pulling into a parking lot or service area to sleep for a few hours.

Can someone tell me (sell me really), why I would consider the solar option for my type of camping?  What is it going to do for me to be worth the additional expense and time of setting up.

Perhaps the answer is that it doesn't, but I'd like to know.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Don Halas

Hi.

We just purchased a new RP-178.  I'd expect most of our camping to be in a campground with services.  I don't expect to do dry camping with the exception of perhaps pulling into a parking lot or service area to sleep for a few hours.

Can someone tell me (sell me really), why I would consider the solar option for my type of camping?  What is it going to do for me to be worth the additional expense and time of setting up.

Perhaps the answer is that it doesn't, but I'd like to know.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

If that is how you intend to use your pod, there is no need for you to have an alternate charge ability, solar or generator. You don't need a second battery etc. You're good. Pod On.
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 9:02am
Howdy from San Antonio. In your scenario, solar is a waste of money. You could use a small panel to keep your battery up between trips during the camp season, but most people just cut the power to prevent the POD drain at idle.
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 9:06am
That was my suspicion, but I thought I would ask.

Thank you again for your quick responses.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 9:32pm
Just be sure to charge the battery overnight every 30 days and before/after each trip.  Plug in the pod, reconnect the battery, then later disconnect and unplug.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12