Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHi Everyone! New 179 Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi Everyone! New 179 Questions
    Posted: 26 May 2015 at 11:02pm
We live in MA and we just did our first trip with our new 179 - two of us and our 100 pound Lab. Things worked pretty well but I have a couple of questions. 

1. The hot water did not seem really hot and it seemed to fade as the weekend went on. Is the heater supposed to keep it hot all the time? We could not find an adjustment and the reset and fuse were both fine.
2. The dinette has two pieces that stick out. The one nearest the bed opens for storage but the one nearer to the fridge is either jammed or it is not supposed to open. Can anyone clarify this?
3. It towed like a dream but the tires seemed low when there was gray and black water on board. After pumping they seemed ok. Pressure was 50 psi. Is it ok to drive without dumping and if so how long?
4. We found the storage good for kitchen stuff, food, linens and clothes but were a bit stumped by where and how to store dirty laundry. Any great ideas out there? If the answer to number 2 is that both sides offer storage, this is probably what we will do.
5. The levels on the trailer did not correspond to bigger levels when we put them on the frame and the floor. Do people actually use the little levels that come with the trailer?

Silly questions but we have always had tents or a really simple popup so this is a big stretch for us. 

Thanks for any help. 
Lisa, Bill and Tonic
CFWARREN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 12:38am
As for the hot water, one can only assume you had had the switch inside set to "on"....were you running it on propane or elec?  I've heard the water isn't as hot on on DC as with propane.  Were you connected to water supply or using the water storage tank?

You're right about the two parts of the seating area, only the one closest to the bed opens for storage.  You will see that the other one is screwed closed.  If you're curious, open it up and see what's inside, (wires, tubes, hoses)

I drain all the tanks, except for a bit in the fresh water, any time I'm towing.  If I'm in a campground for let's say 3 days, then I hit the dump station on my way out.  I figure any extra weight cuts into the gas mileage.

I just use a laundry bag for dirty linens, and toss it under the bed, or in my tow vehicle, or whatever.

Mine didn't come with any pre-attached levels.  I have a 3-foot level I got at Lowe's or Home Depot for probably under $10.  You can check for level in  the storage area or inside the door, to determine front-to-back level, then place it across the tongue, in front or behind the batteries, to determine side-to-side level.
2016 179 - Hood River Edition
2008 Nissan Xterra
Grandpa Hiker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 6:01am
Hot Water: My guess is that your bypass valve is open. The valve is on a short pipe that connects the cold water & hot water lines just before they connect to the water heater. This valve is used during the winterization process & is located near your water heater. When this valve is open cold water flows into your hot water lines thus diluting the water temp. Close that valve & you will have 130 degree water soon. On the 179 the water heater is located under the bed & can be accessed by removing the access panel on the left side of the storage area under the bed.
Rob & Becky
2014 Ford Explorer 3.5 SOHC V6
2015 R-179 Pod aka Piddle Pod

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain!!"
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 8:26am
I agree with Grandpa sounds like the bypass valve was open. The water should be really hot.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Lisaandbill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 8:37am
Wow! Thanks so much everyone!! This is great info. I really appreciate your advice.
kellyandkelly View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 12:15am
Does anyone know where the water heater is on the 178?  I have read a lot about adjusting the valves but I can't even find the water heater!  Our water is lukewarm coming out of the faucet, but scalding hot when we drain the hot water tank.  Help please :)
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 4:41am
t is easy to find from the outside.  There is a door that opens with a half turn closer with  a hole in the center that looks like it can take a padlock.  It is down low on the side with the hinge by the bottom of the pod.  You can figure out where that corespond to on the inside of the pod.  I think the 178 is close in construction to a 177, shich makes the valves under the bed.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 2:48pm
For the OP, looks like the hot water problem has been covered, that is a typical problem and easily solved.

Always tow with the tires @ 50 psi (and your TVs tires near their max sidewall rating) and you shouldn't have a problem towing with the tanks full.  We were all over the US with our pod with various tanks in various states of full/empty and didn't have a problem.  

I agree the levels had to be added by the previous owner.  Every camper I've had I get different versions of "level" depending on where I check - tongue, floor, countertop.  I just put a small level on the floor as we level up.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply