R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMSRP vs Real World in Negotiating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: MSRP vs Real World in Negotiating
    Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 12:43pm
Hi all.  I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a 176.  However, before I go in to negotiate, I want to have my ducks in a row.  Any advice?

On line I'm seeing Rpods discounted pretty regularly.  The rule of thumb I've seen is to get as close to 30% off MSRP as possible.  Is that legitimate for an Rpod?  Already heard don't pay for PPI and doc fees.  I also get that the dealer is going to make his money somehow, so moving fees and prices around can work to both of our advantages (knock the price down by $1k, then pay $1k for a PPI- no sales tax on that amount, etc.).

Also, what should the dealer throw in?  Full propane, new battery, Rdome, axle riser, etc.?  Anything else I should look out for?

Thanks in advance.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 1:18pm
Yes, the 30% off rule is accurate.  Most people negotiate in all of the extras you mentioned.  Add sewer hose kit to the list.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
mcclurey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 9:52pm
Not sure where you live but check out Jeff Couches RV Nation in Hamilton, OH.  I think you may be able to do better than 30% plus all options.  Loaded.  I tried to work with the local RPod dealers in my area but they couldn't come close to what Couches quoted me and my Rpod came with every option available. Two weeks ago I drove from MO to OH to pick up my 179.  Very Professional Sales Staff and walk thru.  Negotiated everything by phone.  I have no ties to Couches.  I did my research on Internet and hooked up with them.  Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
Missouri Matt

goombah View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 1:44am
Originally posted by techntrek

Yes, the 30% off rule is accurate.  Most people negotiate in all of the extras you mentioned.  Add sewer hose kit to the list.

Thanks Doug.  I will add it.  Having never bought any kind of RV before I'm still getting used to how this all works.  I'm pretty good with cars but haven't figured out the RV side.

Originally posted by mcclurey

Not sure where you live but check out Jeff Couches RV Nation in Hamilton, OH.  I think you may be able to do better than 30% plus all options.  Loaded.  I tried to work with the local RPod dealers in my area but they couldn't come close to what Couches quoted me and my Rpod came with every option available. Two weeks ago I drove from MO to OH to pick up my 179.  Very Professional Sales Staff and walk thru.  Negotiated everything by phone.  I have no ties to Couches.  I did my research on Internet and hooked up with them.  Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the idea.  I've already contacted Couches.  Their price is much better and I plan on using it in my negotiations.  I live a long way from there so the delivery is expensive.  The salesman there is looking to see what he can do about that.  They are my benchmark on what to add to the sale as well.  I'd really like to go with my local dealer because of the issues I hear in getting it serviced after purchasing elsewhere, but Couches is definitely in the hunt if we can get the delivery fee worked out.

My negotiation plan is to get quotes from many dealers and see what they will do to earn my business.  Worked pretty well on the Jeep we just bought.  I'll be contacting a couple more tomorrow and see if we can get this done.

Thanks for your help.  Any and all tips are greatly appreciated!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 9:27pm
Figure on adding $500-1000 for shipping from Couch's, and that much added for local dealers partially because of shipping to their own locations and also because they know how much shipping will be from the cheaper competitors.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 9:09pm
 I also went to Ohio and Couches for my R177 back in 2012. It was a 742 miles trip, each direction, but worth it. The local R-Pod RV dealer (they sell mostly 5th wheels and larger trailers) was firm on $16,700 for the same Pod but with NO options.
 Got mine from Couches at $13,295 back then,with everything except the Hood River Edition and Risers. Installed risers myself for $125.
 My local dealer didn't care that I would drive out of state. They knew they would sell it to someone else eventually.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
goombah View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Figure on adding $500-1000 for shipping from Couch's, and that much added for local dealers partially because of shipping to their own locations and also because they know how much shipping will be from the cheaper competitors.

Well, the quote from Couch's came in with shipping in the $3k range to the West Coast.  I have asked if there is anything else they can do on that.  Ouch.  West Coast trailers come from Oregon, and I'm a lot closer to there so shipping is much less.  

Originally posted by ToolmanJohn

I also went to Ohio and Couches for my R177 back in 2012. It was a 742 miles trip, each direction, but worth it. The local R-Pod RV dealer (they sell mostly 5th wheels and larger trailers) was firm on $16,700 for the same Pod but with NO options.
 Got mine from Couches at $13,295 back then,with everything except the Hood River Edition and Risers. Installed risers myself for $125.
 My local dealer didn't care that I would drive out of state. They knew they would sell it to someone else eventually.

My local dealer is, to put it mildly, ambivalent.  Told him my offer, he asked who he would be matching, and I wouldn't tell him.  He said if he could do something he'd call me back.  I told him maybe he should call me back either way.

So I've contacted other dealers.  The going price right now is about $16k but that is trailer only, no dome, no battery, hoses, etc.  That is for a 2016 HRE,with Luxury Packages..  I'd be looking at $18k or so all said and done with tax, a hitch, brake controller, battery, etc.  That's more than I think it's worth, but correct me if I'm wrong.  Next step is to call some dealers in Oregon closer to the factory and make a trip out of that.  Or, possibly, arrange through a dealer to go up there and pick it up.
Hi-Line View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 11:10am
Hi, I'm new to this forum and contemplating buying an r.pod. In corresponding with a dealer they quoted me a good price but also a fairly hefty "doc fee"--I don't have much experience with buying trailers so wondered if most people end up paying a doc fee (although you didn't) and what is a reasonable amount. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Thanks!
mcclurey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 2:04pm
Not sure if there is such a thing as a reasonable doc fee. I would suggest negotiating that out of the price if possible. Otherwise you need to just negotiate the bottom line price. Couches RV Nation is hard to beat in regards to price. They may have included a cost under doc fee in the contract (would have to look). I didn't have to negotiate it. They were best price by thousands over other quotes I received.
Missouri Matt

Fly Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 3:35pm
I bought from Couches and paid a document fee of 179.50 and an Ohio Title fee of 45.50. I licensed the trailer in KY and paid state taxes there. I couldn't get my salesman to take anything off the document fee but then I would have ended up paying more for the trailer elsewhere regardless of the fee. 
2015 R178 R-Pod
1998 Chevy Silverado 1500
2005 Ford Escape
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>