Topic Closed2015 No. American Tour - Event Date: 20 Mar 2015 - 21 May 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
capnfishook View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: 2015 No. American Tour
    Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 6:37pm
We just completed an extended, 9-week tour of America pulling a 2010 R-Pod 175 from Alaska to the Lower 48 and back again.  The trip totaled 14, 870 miles, crossed 4 Canadian provinces, 24 states, and lasted 9-1/2 weeks.  We camped mostly in state and national parks, a few municipal campgrounds, one scary place in Alabama, and visited lots of friends and family along the way.  We avoided the Interstate highways as much as possible and did most of the trip by back roads on 2-lane blacktop.  We left when there is still snow on the ground and didn't see the last of it until we got to southern Utah.  By the time we got to Charleston, SC it was summertime weather! 

I retired a short while ago and this trip has been planned for some time.  When some former shipmates from my Navy days called for a reunion -first time in over 40 years- it gave us the impetus to start. 

We bought the R-Pod used a year ago and it was in like-new condition.  There were still tags hanging on things that had never been used.  We made a 2-week shake down trip to see how it worked and to get it outfitted with modifications, and took off.  It performed better than I expected it to and survived the rough road conditions of the north country.  I pulled it with a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with the Cummins diesel engine and noticed very little change in performance.  The head winds across the plains states cost me more in fuel than towing it over the mountains.

Great little camper.  Just right for two old farts.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12