R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedbest tow speed?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: best tow speed?
    Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 5:11pm
 If you want the best compromise of speed and mpg economy, then 55-60 will be great for the Q7 TDI.

Faster than that and you are pushing a LOT of wind with the Pod, and MPG fall off. The 3.0L TDI engine could tow your pod at 80 mph easily if you had the nerves for it. But MPG would probably be down near 11.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Q7-retired View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by ToolmanJohn

The 3.0L TDI engine could tow your pod at 80 mph easily if you had the nerves for it. But MPG would probably be down near 11.

My nerves aren't that steady! Shocked

I like the idea of 60mpg, subject to tire limits.  We'll see how it goes on these trips.  If anything notable occurs, I'll update this thread.
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 10:30am
At 60 or 62, you never have to pass anyone.    If your transmission has a  tow-haul mode, be sure to use it.  It changes the shift points, and makes the speed control a little less responsive so the engine won't rev so high when the speed drops off on a hill.
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 1:28pm
Going west in Wyoming along route 80 with 55 mph+ headwinds our best tow speed was whatever we could do!

Normally, however, we are in the majority of 60-65 unless there is an opportunity to pass a fifth wheel or Airstream. Then we step on it.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by fwunder

unless there is an opportunity to pass a fifth wheel or Airstream. Then we step on it.

Thumbs Up
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Marx View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 10:41am
I like 60 with both of my two towing rigs as well.
2014 R-POD 177
garbob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 12:49am
With a 2013 Honda Pilot pulling a 2013 178, around 2500 RPM seems to be the ticket.
topher2u2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 10:04pm
The best towing experience we have is at low speeds climbing through the mountains. The trailer feels very planted and mpg's are good. Pulling on the interstate is another story and I agree that 60-65 is probably the best compromise. At 60 we are already feeling the mpg tax, but that speed gives the most options to take action. 
#3PsnRPod
2016 R-Pod RP 171
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
coopercdrkey View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 6:50am
Living (and camping) in Florida, we don't encounter the terrain variations that you do.  I tend to drive by RPM's.  Once up to speed (using the tow mode setting) I revert to normal operation mode and take whatever speed I get at 1500 RPM.  This is usually 55 to 58 mph and is fine for the length of trips we take.  Being passed by other motorists no longer threatens my man card....
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
Markie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 10:04pm
    I also tow a 178  with a 2013 Honda Pilot. As garbob mentioned the RPM is around 2500 at 60 MPH. I don't have a lot of towing experience but after returning from a trip of over 1000 miles I had mixed results. Initially I didn't have Weight distribution or sway control. I had a slight but noticeable amount of porpoising when the pavement had humps and dips. It would take a little time for the suspension to absorb the energy and stabilize. 
    Above 60 MPH sway became a concern. I could feel the effects of the sway and I would slow to make it stop. In cross wind it would be more noticeable.
   After installing and adjusting the WD hitch ( Fastway model E2) the porpoising was eliminated. The sway was greatly reduced but not eliminated. I did notice some sway when being passed by a tractor trailer but I felt like I had allot more control. I think I still have some adjusting necessary to tweak the WD  to the Pilot. For safety purposes I don't feel comfortable towing above 60 to 65 MPH.
   I have talked to other podders that say they don't think there is a need for WD. They said, "The R-pod is so light there is no need". I feel the lighter the camper the more one should be concerned about sway.  I can't imagine trying to tow long distances in heavy traffic without it. The difference is amazing. I would be interested in hearing others opinions and experiences forming their beliefs on the need (or not) for Weight Distribution.
Mark & Vicki
R-POD 178 & 2015 Silverado 5.3L
Weimeraner "Zeke"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>