R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTire-ology

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire-ology
    Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 10:51am
In another post, the subject of tires came up. Techntrek had purchased new tires and I will be, in the future. The post brought some questions to my mind, as I consider this future purchase. My investigations, thus far, lead me to the following hypothesis:

I am not smart enough to purchase tires, unassisted. I need someone with a PhD in “tire-ology” to tell me what tires to buy!

Just kidding – there is no such thing as “tire-ology”.    However, this web site, though dated, has some interesting information:

http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/Tires.shtml

As I look at my existing tires I see – Load Range C, 6PR, and (further around the tire) 5 ply tread, 2 ply sidewall. I thought I have 6 ply tires but , I don’t. I have the equivalent of 6 ply tires! Quoted from the above web site:

“The Load Range rating is gradually replacing the older Ply Rating (as in 2PR) system. Ply rating at one time indicated the actual number of bias (fabric) plies making up the tire, but with the new radial tires, you often only have 2 or perhaps 3 plies making up the tire carcass with some additional circumferential plies under the tread. So a tire labeled "8PR" or "6PR" will likely not have 8 or 6 plies in the tire, but the "8PR" tire will be stronger than the "6PR" tire.”

So, my 5 + 2 ply = 6 (PR)! But, not really. This is because we really don’t use the ply rating system anymore. In my particular case, 5 + 2 = “Load Range C”. Load Range C roughly means that the tire is rated to carry approximately 1750lbs, per tire, at a maximum inflation of 50psi.

These are the maximums but, my camper (having 4 tires) is carrying roughly less than 1000lbs per tire, when fully loaded. Reading down the web site, regarding inflation pressures, would indicate, to me, that putting 50 psi of air in the tires is actually over-inflating the tires. There is a somewhat linear correlation between load and inflation pressure (as stated).   Since I have about 60% of the rated load on the tires, I should inflate the tires to roughly 60% of the maximum (about 30psi) and then test for proper tread contact with the pavement – adjusting as needed.

This just seems a bit low, pressure wise, to me. And, at this point in the thought exercise, is about where the hard drive between my ears overloads and crashes. The only way that I can get it to reboot is to go into the other room, eat some cookies and, watch “Gilligan’s Island”.

So, your thoughts/comments are welcome.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 1:27pm
Mine were rated online as "6 ply" on the etrailer website, but when they arrived were actually 4 + 2 sidewall.  I didn't go to the extent you did to figure that out.  I wanted to get load range D tires but couldn't find any at the time I ordered.  I wish I had held out because I'm running really close to the max for each tire with the C rating.  I stuck with bias tires since the originals were bias and from what I read they have less sidewall flex.

I've always run my trailer tires at max sidewall pressure to reduce sidewall flex, since that is a contributor to sway.  I also run the TV tires near max (about 3 psi less than sidewall).  30 psi would give me a panic attack!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 2:41pm
Agreed. 30psi would not be good. You and I know that with tandem axles, in a turn, at least 2 of them "drag" across the pavement - the tighter the turn, the worse it is. I could see tires popping. So, I also agree on the bias tires. They would be better, IMHO, in our applications, due to the stiffer sidewalls.

I've always inflated my camper tires to 46-47psi - letting the heat build them to 50psi on the road. I'll likely buy something similar to what I have but, it is always good to hear what others think...I might learn something. If I can find bias tires, I think I'd prefer them vs. radials.

The web site has some interesting info, perhaps too much for a simple man as myself.

I know you are good about watching your pressures, so I think you'll be fine. Too much sidewall flex generates heat, which kills the tire. I was following someone on the highway, a while back, who was pulling a utility trailer. One of the tires on the trailer was low (not flat) and the heat was causing the tire to smoke!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 5:47pm
I just checked out that website, yowza, lots of info.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 6:19pm
   Now I may need to see a tire psychologist after researching our tires I may start having nightmares. We have  Power Towing  Trail Express tires. ST 225/75/R15 8PR load range D They have a very dangerous history of tire failure. They are new with less than 200 miles on them they were the tires that came with our new axle when it was relpaced under warranty. With a single axle trailer having tire failure is something I don't want to experience. Any recommendations do you think they are safe?
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 6:39pm
OK, at the risk of being branded a forum-basher, David's post is another perfect example of why we should not segregate this forum!

This information should not be posted in the non-Pod section!  All of our members need to see this kind of information!  The Tow Vehicle Recall link should also be available to all!

Doug, at the risk of pi$$ing you off, you are not doing your original  constituency a favor by flexing your credibility into this new venue.

Sorry, but that's the way I feel

Bob Cooper
coopercdrkey on the Forum 

Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 7:37pm
   Bob I agree inpart what you are saying regarding important safety information that all should be aware of things relateing to safety. I think Doug has done a great job and will continue doing so. And in time if a safety topic of some kind should be created it will happen. Sorry if I am not understanding your post but I hope my reply is of some help. As the safety of our tires I'm hoping the manufactuer has corrected the problems. 
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 7:46pm
I look at post using the "New" option. I'll set it to since Yesterday, or the past 4 hours, or whatever, depending on the last time I checked messages.  You can set to look at posts since 5:17 if that was the last time you checked posts.  (You can't set the time, it will do that for you.)  All post, regardless of forum are shown.  If I care, I have to look to see which forum I'm reading at any given time.  Unless I'm posting a new message I really don't care what forum I'm reading though.  I look at the message subjects and choose which ones look interesting or that I've been following.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 8:46am
Originally posted by David and Danette

Now I may need to see a tire psychologist after researching our tires I may start having nightmares. We have  Power Towing  Trail Express tires. ST 225/75/R15 8PR load range D They have a very dangerous history of tire failure. They are new with less than 200 miles on them they were the tires that came with our new axle when it was relpaced under warranty. With a single axle trailer having tire failure is something I don't want to experience. Any recommendations do you think they are safe?

You have the SAME tires that I do, except mine are Load Range C. I am into my 6th year of use on them and they have performed well - no issues. I would buy them again, if that means anything. Keep in mind that mine are well within their rating (60%, or less, of maximum load).

Personally, I think keeping an eye on the pressures (not letting them get low) is critical to good safe performance. Also keep in mind, I'm not a tire expert - quite the opposite. How much does your loaded rig weigh? Divided by 2 would reveal the load per tire, assuming the rig is roughly equal side to side.

I just followed a link in the above web site and it reveals some interesting info on trailer tires, per Discount Tire

Trailer tire info/Discount Tire
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 9:23am
Originally posted by coopercdrkey

OK, at the risk of being branded a forum-basher, David's post is another perfect example of why we should not segregate this forum!
This information should not be posted in the non-Pod section!  All of our members need to see this kind of information!  The Tow Vehicle Recall link should also be available to all!
Doug, at the risk of pi$$ing you off, you are not doing your original  constituency a favor by flexing your credibility into this new venue.
Sorry, but that's the way I feel
Bob Cooper
coopercdrkey on the Forum 

Personally, I don't see this as a matter of segregation. The forum was expanded to allow for those who do not presently own Pods to post information that is not necessarily specific to the Pod. We are all free to browse any and all areas of the forum. Quite of bit of the information found in any of the topics could apply to any travel trailer.

I am going to speak for the Admins and Mods and say that we have always welcomed all who wished to participate. All that has been expected is that everyone "play nice". The idea of adding additional section(s) to the forum was discussed and thought about for years.

I voted in favor of expansion. My thinking was: "Why would we want to lose the good fellowship and knowledge of a member simply because they purchased a different camper?

I hope my words are not received as "chastising". This is not my intent. It is not segregation but, casting a bigger net and being overtly open to all - Podders, wannabes, ex-Podders, and those who just like the great bunch of folks we have here. We WANT everyone to look at all areas of the forum...that is why we post.

I only have one gripe about the forum and this is it: I wish folks would quit mentioning CampLite campers - because you are making me WANT one!   

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>