R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSingle Step to Double Steps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Single Step to Double Steps
    Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 5:15pm
Perfect! Based on your comments, and the comments of others, I ordered a set from Amazon just now! They'll be here next week!
Tim and Pam
2017 R-Pod 179 - "Little Bear"
2014 Toyota Tacoma Crew Cab
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 11:33am
Installation of the steps was straight forward.  Elongating the inside holes was a bit hard.  I wound up chucking a rat tail file in the drill and that worked .
Taospod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 3:15pm
Flexco SMFP-2100 specs show overall mounting bracket width of 26 1/8".  Measured width between my R-pod 179 mounting brackets is 26".  Yet folks say the Flexco product fits easily.  What am I missing?
Thanks for your help.
timpamt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 4:53pm
My 2017 R-Pod 179 the same - 26" - but those steps slid in between there perfect! There'a a bit of flex I think.
I'm trying to post a detailed reply with photos attached - but I'm having a lot of trouble. I've lost three detailed replies this way, so before I type the details again I want to see if I can at least reply WITHOUT photos - then maybe attach photos to a second reply?
I'd be curious to know if there's a trick to attaching photos. I have benefited GREATLY from the photos I have seen here, and I would like to pay it forward with photos of my own - why does my message box FREEZE up when I click the "Full Reply Editor" and "Image Upload" icons?
Tim and Pam
jimandclare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 4:53pm
Taospod .... The Flexco steps will flex somewhat to fit on your pod. The upper brace on the steps will bend slightly up as the sides are squeezed together to fit the trailer brackets. You'll be the only one who notices it. Just use a mallet or hammer to presuade the steps into position. Be sure to elongate the holes on the step since they don't perfectly line up with the bracket holes.
Jim & Clare
2016 R-pod 178
2014 Ford Edge
timpamt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 5:26pm
f

I must have had too much open on my computer at once - I finally got the photos to attach! I put the front bolts in first, so I could see where to drill. A 3/8" bit took only a few minutes for each hole - but I had to crawl around a bit to get access to one of them. Use a center punch or a nail to mark the place you want to drill, so it doesn't "drift" on you.
The new double step frame is about 2 1/2" lower than the old step frame - but no more at risk than the back stablilzer jack I think. I'm going to put a lift kit under my axle this winter - that was already my plan BEFORE I got the new steps - to keep those back jacks from dragging on steep entryways, and to protect the "underneath stuff" (tanks, tubes, pipes, and wires!) from road hazards.
Tim and Pam
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 5:30pm
I had installed the Flexco steps on our 179 and the first time they hit something, they bent horribly. The problem is those long arced slots in the sides, which leave very little steel for structural support. I replaced them with the Lippert 24" dual steps, which have much more solid side plates. The brackets on the 179 are flexible (and were bent anyway), so I didn't even need spacers. The vertical step spacing is better than the Flexco steps too.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 6:14pm
I did this mod, best part is my English Bulldog can access without hurting his privates. I did drill new holes in rear (3/8) and eliminated carriage bolts from OEM, works fine and good for me.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 6:26pm
I don't think you are missing anything it was a tight fit and the 3/8 bolts pulled it together for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12