R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlue Ox weight distributing hitch?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue Ox weight distributing hitch?
    Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 9:52pm
I have a Blue Ox hitch that I used while towing a 27' Salem TT.  It has a set of 1,000 lb bars that seemed to work fairly well.  I'm picking up a 2014 181-G and thought that I might use the same hitch with different bars.  My question is, the max loaded weight of the 181-G is 3,800 lbs.  Blue Ox offers 350 lb and 550 lb bars.  Should I go for the 500 lb bars or the 350 lb bars.  If I reach the max load limit, I may go over the limit of the 350 lb bars.  Anyone have experience with Blue OX hitches?  
Pooterpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 10:04pm
What is your tongue weight fully loaded ? 
hammockmadness View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 5:59am
Originally posted by Pooterpod

I'm picking up the trailer tomorrow morning, so I'm not sure.  Based on the max GVWR of 3800 lbs for the 2014 181-G it should be around 380 lbs if loaded correctly.  That's why, if I decide to use my current Blue Ox hitch, I think I may need to buy a pair of the 550 lb bars since at max GVWR I would be just over the limit of the 350 lb bars.  Do you have any experience using a Blue Ox with an R-Pod?  I'd be interested in how it towed.  I bought a Reese anti-sway bar for it, but obviously haven't installed it yet.  The lowest price I've found so far for a set of bars is around $250, which sounds a little steep.
Pooterpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 7:30am
Originally posted by hammockmadness

Originally posted by Pooterpod

I'm picking up the trailer tomorrow morning, so I'm not sure.  Based on the max GVWR of 3800 lbs for the 2014 181-G it should be around 380 lbs if loaded correctly.  That's why, if I decide to use my current Blue Ox hitch, I think I may need to buy a pair of the 550 lb bars since at max GVWR I would be just over the limit of the 350 lb bars.  Do you have any experience using a Blue Ox with an R-Pod?  I'd be interested in how it towed.  I bought a Reese anti-sway bar for it, but obviously haven't installed it yet.  The lowest price I've found so far for a set of bars is around $250, which sounds a little steep.
I have a 171 which is supposed to have a 225 lb hitch weight , add water and  full propane and you are at 280 lbs. I did not like how it towed until I hit 320lbs. The 181G is advertised at 319  lbs TW but probably tows better due to being longer but loaded you are probably going to blow by your 350 lbs as soon as you add water.  
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 8:09am
The book answer is your tongue weight should be 10-15% of total trailer weight.. if you are closer to the top end of that scale, the mid size bars will be better... I use 550lb bars, am happy. Last I weighed my tongue it was right at 385.
hammockmadness View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 2:53pm
Thanks for the quick replys!  I ordered a pair of 550lb bars today and they should be in before we head to S. Florida on the 18th.  
 Post Reply Post Reply