FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFinding the one idiot in the camp ground

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finding the one idiot in the camp ground
    Posted: 04 Oct 2009 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by throttle96

Heading to Iowa with the pod for Thanksgiving and its gonna be cold. Any tips you give on cold weather camping in the pod. Like what did you do to keep you water tanks from freezing
Throttle96,

My trailer wasn't setup for winter camping, and wasn't expecting to do it this time.   So a bit of preperation would have made things easier.

This is what I did, when things started getting a little nippy.  I left my fresh water tank dry and hooked up to city water.   Left sink dripping just at a slow drip to keep fresh water line from freezing.    (made a run into town for quick supplies)   I put RV antifreeze into the grey and black water tanks, and filled up the black and grey tanks to about 1/2 full to give them enough water mass to resist freezing at night.   Each night when I went to bed, put a just a bit more rv antifreeze into the shower drain and sink drain, just out of paranoia to keep the P-traps from potentially freezing.    My water pump etc is under the sink (on the 172), so left cabinet door  open a bit to allow air circulation.     Using a roll of black plastic I picked up at the local hardware store, I made a makeshift plastic skirt around the base of the trailer (from the floor to the ground) around the trailer.   This was my attempt to keep heat in around tanks and pipes.   It seemed to keep it about 5 degrees warmer.    I also tried to keep interior as warm as I could 70ish, as that kept everything else warm.    I had previously replaced metal blinds with cellular blinds, which made a big difference.   With blinds closed there was very little "draft" from cold windows.

I have put a dual tank setup on my 172, so regulator is now in a different spot and sheltered.   On a stock R-POD you would want to put a foam cover (the ones that go on faucets work well) to keep ice from building up on regulator and having it possibly freeze.

Alot of this was very makeshift on the spot.   In a previous trailer life I had 12v heating panels (built for RV's) under the tanks, and had insulated the water lines, and had a prebuilt canvas skirt and would hang a 40w drop light (hooked to a GFCI) under the frame to keep air warm under trailer.

Hope that helps.
gmandual View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2009 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by PodPatrol

Sounds like a good time to Us !!
Great Pics, and the infoe concerning Cold Camping
was welcome indeed.
Was glad to hear no-build-up of snow/ice on the top.
Sorry to hear about the Battery lid. I'm sure you'll come
up with a great mod for that.
I starting to consider how to double the battery & LP
tank on the tongue. I'll check into the weight specs.
I've seen generaters on the tongue, so doubling
the battery and tank may work.

The ice/snow sliding down the back of the trailer was odd, was pretty cool watching it go past the window.   Was quite the pile of snow near spare tire.

Over the summer had added a second 5gallon (20lb) tank to my trailer.    Average 20lb tank is about 18lbs empty, 38lbs filled.    I cut the single mounting plate box off my 172, welded on two more supports then attached one of these http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog/dual-tank-rack-dual-tank-rack.html on the frame.
Added an auto switch over regulator and new hoses.   If you can't do it yourself, I would assume a local RV or trailer shop could do it in under an hour.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2009 at 9:44pm
Thanks g-man !!

What's tour take on having 2 tanks + 2 batteries
on a 177 tongue ???
I'm actually planning to use the 2nd LP for the outside
cooking area. The 2nd battery would be for the Pod.
I've also been checking out tank warmers.
When in Illinois, ya really have to be prepared.
This time of year ya never know.

HAPPY PODing !!!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 12:08pm
I have had the 2 Gas Tanks and also 2 Batteries on the front of my 171 since after the first month.  Added a bit more weight to the front but overall gives me a lot more options.  I have thought about adding 2 water carriers (7 Gallons each) on the front but that may be pushing to much weight.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 12:56pm
What a beautiful place to camp!  I spent a summer in Enterprise, OR years ago - not far from Wallowa!  Gorgeous country they've got there!
gmandual View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 6:13pm

Thanks g-man !!

What's tour take on having 2 tanks + 2 batteries
on a 177 tongue ???
I'm actually planning to use the 2nd LP for the outside
cooking area. The 2nd battery would be for the Pod.
I've also been checking out tank warmers.
When in Illinois, ya really have to be prepared.
This time of year ya never know.

HAPPY PODing !!!!

Need to sitdown and put a excel spreadsheet with distances from trailer to calculate actual weight additions for trailers based on distances from ball and axle.    So following is rough estimates.

From what information I have on the 177.  It starts out with a dry tongue weight of 238, which includes one "empty" tank.   So you are looking at 20lb of LP which adds about 19 to tongue weight.   So about 257.  

The last info I got from FR said dry tonque doesn't include battery, as its added by dealer. 
So a size 24 battery is around 35 pounds.   So two of those is around 70 pounds.  But since they are about 3 feet back from ball, maybe about 50 or so is carried by the hitch, so  that gets you up to 307.   You add another 5 gallan propane tank at 38 pounds(full), and that puts you pretty close to to the 350 of a class 2 hitch.   If you have a class 3 hitch it wouldn't be a big deal.    Off course if  go to sears and buy about 50 pounds of tools to haul around in back compartment, then you can counter balance the weight. :)  

The trailer can handle the extra weight on the tongue, just depends on whether your hitch/Tow vehicle can handle the extra weight and or whether the load out of your trailer counter balances he extra tongue weight.
gmandual View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Poddie

What a beautiful place to camp!  I spent a summer in Enterprise, OR years ago - not far from Wallowa!  Gorgeous country they've got there!

I have been going up to the wallowa valley over over 30 years now.   Have learned all the good places to fish, eat, and sleep which pretty much covers all my essentials.    Alot of good fishing up there along the river once you get to know the folks.    Beautiful country with a lot of generous and friendly people.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by gmandual

Need to sitdown and put a excel spreadsheet with distances from trailer to calculate actual weight additions for trailers based on distances from ball and axle.    So following is rough estimates.

From what information I have on the 177.  It starts out with a dry tongue weight of 238, which includes one "empty" tank.   So you are looking at 20lb of LP which adds about 19 to tongue weight.   So about 257.  

The last info I got from FR said dry tonque doesn't include battery, as its added by dealer. 
So a size 24 battery is around 35 pounds.   So two of those is around 70 pounds.  But since they are about 3 feet back from ball, maybe about 50 or so is carried by the hitch, so  that gets you up to 307.   You add another 5 gallan propane tank at 38 pounds(full), and that puts you pretty close to to the 350 of a class 2 hitch.   If you have a class 3 hitch it wouldn't be a big deal.    Off course if  go to sears and buy about 50 pounds of tools to haul around in back compartment, then you can counter balance the weight. :)  

The trailer can handle the extra weight on the tongue, just depends on whether your hitch/Tow vehicle can handle the extra weight and or whether the load out of your trailer counter balances he extra tongue weight.

Thanks for the great infoe g-man !!!
A possible set-up could be to put the two LP tanks and one battery on the tongue, then carry a fully charged battery in the back storage in the Pod. (thus helping to balance the weight)

Or .... Put two Batteries and One LP on the tongue, and carry the other LP in storage, or perhaps the bed of the truck, thus easing the lbs on the tongue.

I like the second idea better, cause both batteries will be used for the Pod, and one of the two LPs will be for "outside" uses. Changing over a LP tank could be easier than changing over a battery in a pinch, depending on how its all setup.

Thanks g-man !!! I appreciate the help on that .....
gmandual View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 7:15pm

Thanks for the great infoe g-man !!!
A possible set-up could be to put the two LP tanks and one battery on the tongue, then carry a fully charged battery in the back storage in the Pod. (thus helping to balance the weight)

Or .... Put two Batteries and One LP on the tongue, and carry the other LP in storage, or perhaps the bed of the truck, thus easing the lbs on the tongue.

I like the second idea better, cause both batteries will be used for the Pod, and one of the two LPs will be for "outside" uses. Changing over a LP tank could be easier than changing over a battery in a pinch, depending on how its all setup.

Thanks g-man !!! I appreciate the help on that .....

Based on your needs I would tend to agree.   Two batteries up front and a second LP tank in storage seems to make sense.    I have seen quite a few boondockers carry a spare LP tank in the shower while traveling, then chain it to the trailer outside when they camp.   Since you are looking to use a second tank just for BBQ and not for the trailer, that might be a good option.   But if you have room in the bed of the truck, I have a feeling that is even more convenient.    Check out the  tank bases that makes it easier to keep tanks from moving around while you have them in a bed of a truck or in a shower. 

My 172 started off with a bit lower dry hitch weight of 179,  so had a bit more room to start with when it came to adding weight to tongue. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 2:12am
Here's another idiot (me) this spring before I got my 174. And you think the R-Pod is drafty! I remember wishing the furnace would just stay on instead of cycling on/off every 5 minutes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>