R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRdome 179

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rdome 179
    Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 8:17am
Using a Coleman Popup.
leahfoo
CoastalCal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 11:07am
We have a 2015 178 and although we love our R-Dome it is a bit of a challenge. Ours was also low on the far side, I think because our Pod is the Hood River edition with risers and that made dome look funky, like it was hanging off the pod.  I have delt with that by purchasing bed risers at Bed Bath and Beyond and putting the far end poles on the risers (run the strap under the riser). I'm not that concerned with making the dome bug tight here on the West Coast and we don't have pets to contain.  The bottom still reaches the ground.  The suction cups are, in my opinion, worthless.  Try cleaning the spot you are going to place them, I hear that helps.

Happy travels
2015 178 R-Pod
Ford F-250 4x4 Diesel
2014 Indian Vintage
2010 HD Ultra Classic
CFWARREN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 9:18pm
Leahfoo, I thought I'd send a message to try to help a bit.
Check out these attached pics, this should be about how your Rdome should look when set up correctly.  Yes, the ends do stick out beyond the end of the keder rail, but that's not a problem.   It should still be snug against the side of the trailer.  I figured out the the best placement left to right is so that the center pole will be about 6 inches to the right of the exterior light.  As you can see in my pictures, this leaves enough material to wrap the dome around the back end of the trailer, where you would attach the suction cups.  The front edge of the dome will then be just in front of the side window, as you can see in the picture.  This makes for a very good fit. 
If you're expecting a 100% bug-free room, well then you might be disappointed.  But if you're looking for shade, privacy, protection from rain, it's great!  I found the suction cups work best if you have the hook pointing up, put a little water or spit on the suction cup, and place it directly where the grommet is, then press down, and then flip the hook over so it is pointing towards the Rdome.  THEN attach the grommet over the hook, if you're trying to attach the suction hook to the camper already attached, it won't stick as well.  This has worked well for me, in fact I have a hard time prying OFF the suction cups, they stick so well!

2016 179 - Hood River Edition
2008 Nissan Xterra
leahfoo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 9:39pm
http://www.rpod-owners.com/uploads/4008/image.jpg
This is what Rdome is advertised to look like.
leahfoo
CFWARREN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 10:44pm
I'm really sorry that you're not happy with yours, but I think the Rdome is great. 
Does your Rpod have the axle risers?  You point out that my dome is not touching the ground evenly, but so what?  It is touching the ground all the way around.  My Rpod has the 4" axle risers, and in fact the ground was not level, you can't see it in the picture, but the right side tire is raised about 2" to make the camper level.  So of course the dome doesn't look level.  It's going to look different in every situation and location, due to slight differences in the terrain.
As for the picture you posted, that is the old prior version of the Rdome, and not a current model of the Rpod either.  So you expect a different model of Rdome attached to a different model of Rpod to look like the picture?  Pictures used in advertising rarely look like the real thing.  I could complain that my campsite doesn't look anything like that picture....where do I get a campsite a few feet from the ocean, with no other people, cars, RVs or anything else close by?

2008 Nissan Xterra
CFWARREN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 10:48pm
Looking a little closer at that picture, it has clearly been "photo-shopped". 
If you look at the shadows on the right from the grasses, then you can see there is no shadow cast by the Dome or Rpod. 
2008 Nissan Xterra
leahfoo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 11:12pm
Yet I was actually in a nice snug Rdome at the Camping show in Boston last winter.
leahfoo
CFWARREN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 11:17pm
So, I'm curious....does your Rdome look like mine.....same colors...??
The Rdome you saw at the show was not the same as mine, which is the new version. 
It has only been out since about April.
There have been, I believe, 3 different versions of the Rdome, with different colors to distinguish them. 
Which version of the Rdome do you have...??
2008 Nissan Xterra
leahfoo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 7:50pm
RDome model numbers must match
leahfoo
CFWARREN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 8:28pm
I have that brochure with that picture.  Note that it is not a 179 model Rpod. 
It also does not apparently show the use of the suction hook thingys.
As with the other brochures, this picture appears to be a "photo-shop" picture.
Don't know what to tell you, pictures in brochures, whether they be cars, RVs, or whatever, seldom resemble real life. 
Make the best of it.
2008 Nissan Xterra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>