R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRdome 179

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rdome 179
    Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 8:41pm
Another thought, I've been aware of this whole "Rdome debacle" since way before I even bought my Rpod.  One thing I've pointed out, is that one could, for far less money, buy a simple screen room that would accomplish the same thing, except for not being attached to the Rpod.  Here's a 10' x 12' screen room on sale right now at Cabela's for $59.99....a heck of a lot less than an Rdome:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Eagles-Camp-12-X-10-Screenhouse/1947502.uts
2016 179 - Hood River Edition
2008 Nissan Xterra
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 10:26pm
I've said many times we got a lot more use from our two EZ-ups than we did the dome.  Sites where the dome couldn't have been set up because of trees or a slope, or where the fire ring or table wasn't close, etc.

As for the brochure and the picture posted earlier, even my first generation dome on my 171 didn't look like that.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 7:11am
One thing to note also in the brochure picture is that dome is set up properly, which most of us never do.  They bring the dome straight down at the end of the keder and make a squared room.

What most all owners do because they've seen the rest of us doing it for 6 years is to take the flaps at the sides where the suction cups go and pull them out further and sometimes even around the the rounded edges at each end of their Pod.  Some of us do this so that we have access to our storage bins, others don't like the windows covered, many do it simply because they have seen others do it that way.

While technically this does give more room it is the incorrect use of it.  Pulling those flaps anywhere but straight down is going to shorten the material left at the bottom.
frogpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 9:37pm
Regarding bug proofing the RDome...camped two weeks ago near Ionia Michigan with the worst mosquitos ever seen. I got the thing bug proof by using duct tape all around where the dome connects to the sides of the pod. Even hit the spots where the poles poke thru and the bottom of a couple of zippers. Not very attractive....but the bugs were really terrible. Not as much success in getting the 4 year olds twins to quit coming in and out every five minutes and leaving the zipper open.

Have only put the dome up a few times on a 2010 171 with axle risers. We got it last year. Use duct tape to get the bottom corners together to keep the dog in and bugs out. The risers make fit at the bottom corners next to the dome a challenge. The snaps that came screwed into the side of the pod work really well but also bulge out so the sides don't go straight down. I see how that affects the fit at the bottom corners.

Had to sleep in the dome last time out. No skeeters but a massive thunderstorm in the middle of the night. Six or seven "drips" developed at various places including the center area. One was directly over my face.http://rpod-owners.com/smileys/smiley18.gif Has anyone used waterproofing spray with success? If so what brand?

Our used pod and dome didn't come with any type of skirt. I made one with a spare blue plastic tarp. Made a keder by folding the tarp edge over a piece of wire and then ...duct tape. Fit was too tight so I found some thinner wire and redid it. Now it's too loose but stays in, mostly, with only a little duct tape help.

I made the skirt in 3 pieces. One on the back that ends at the wheel well. 1 just for the wheel well with a round hole for the axle. last one in front has a horizontal slit for the step. The wire for the fender light added by safety recall goes over the skirt track, so separate pieces are needed. Actually bought Velcro strips to connect the skirt pieces to be classy. Unfortunately, they didn't stick to the tarp so now I use......guess what..... to connect them. I wish the tarp I had was a little longer so the skirt pieces I made from it could attach to the dome better. There is a gap in the bottom corners that is particularly unattractive with the solution I came up with to close the gap.

Running low on tape....maybe she can find a matching or coordinated color.
Leo and Tami
with Coltrane the Jack Russell Terrier
2010 Rpod 171
2003 Toyota Tacoma TRD
tscampers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 10:16pm
I purchased some larger suction cups at Menard's. The ones that came with our rdome didn't stick at all.
CFWARREN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 10:31pm
It's funny, I have the opposite problem, they stick on so well it's hard to remove them!
I wonder if it's a climate thing, maybe in more humid areas they don't stay on as well......
....here in the dry heat they work great....!   Smile
2016 179 - Hood River Edition
2008 Nissan Xterra
leahfoo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 1:08pm
The R-Pod still makes me smile but feel that quality and longevity did not make Forest Rivers top 50 R-goals for this little gem.
leahfoo
dropkick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 7:23pm
Nice cattle dog Smile
leahfoo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2015 at 1:46pm
Use a coleman pop up.
leahfoo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12