Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Introduction - Christine
    Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 8:10am
We reallu enjoy our 179 and had started off with a 171 for 5 years. We spend a mon th in our camper down in Cape Hatteras each year. The 171 was nice and we were comfortable, when we stepped up the the 179, it has given us a lot more room and storage in the kitchen . The slide out feature is really great because it really opens up the dining area and the bed. The a/c is loud but it is like living near a railroad crossing after a short time you just tune it out.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
CFWARREN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 10:59pm
I meant that example as an extreme need for the AC......99% of the time I'll just open a couple windows, turn on the fantastic fan, and that cools it right down.
2016 179 - Hood River Edition
2008 Nissan Xterra
2015 Red Xterra View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 10:51pm
There is a YouTube video where the 179 owner turns on the A/C and warns us but like you, he says not to let that deter one from purchasing.

You guys have been great.
Looking At RPod 179
Currently 1989 Dodge Class B
Former 1983 Chalet Aframe
CFWARREN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 10:46pm
The AC is loud, for sure.  I was in Montana a couple weeks ago, and it was about 105 outside of Glacier. 
After being out for the day, I cranked up the AC, and the inside cooled down to a comfortable level in about 30 mins, then I used it sporadically after that.
Worked great.
2008 Nissan Xterra

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 10:41pm
I'm reading aloud to hubby (who is post op) and we both feel very encouraged.  I'm like you, slow is fine as long as we don't get caught up with the trucks.  

Now the only main issue is that loud A/C.   Oh well, will only use it when hooked up and in the heat and I am sure the appreciation would outweigh the noise.  

What do you put on your roof?

Christine
SNO4ME View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by CFWARREN

Well so far, I've had no problem towing my 179 with my 2008 Xterra. 
Before I bought the 179, I picked up a set of mirror extensions, which I ended up taking back, because I found I didn't need them!
What I found out is that the Xterra, being a somewhat wide vehicle, and the Rpod being somewhat narrow, my visibility is great without mirror extensions.
Of course I can't see straight out the back, but visibility of the other lanes and to the side is great.
Before I signed on the dotted line, I asked at the dealership if I could pull my Xterra up right in front of an Rpod, line it up as if it were connected, to check the visibility.  That's what convinced me!

We use an 07 Colorado to tow our Pod and I have to mess with strap on mirror extensions to pull my capped snowmobile trailer. I don't need the extensions with the Pod, NICE!

Bruce & Donna in the Sno Pod
(and Brewer too)
2011 RP 177
CFWARREN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 10:25pm
The only long steep grade I've been up was, anyone in Washington State will know this, on I-90 from Vantage to Ellensburg.  And I did fine, I was passing the semi's, and the cars and trucks were passing me.  I did bog down a bit going over Lookout pass, Idaho in to Montana, but that's a steeper grade. 
I'm never in a really big hurry when I'm on vacation anyway, so I usually set the cruise control at about 61 - 62, so I stay ahead of the big trucks, and those who are in a hurry can pass by.  Gas mileage is of course terrible, about 13 mpg, but that's just about what you're going to get with any V6, from what I've seen on here.
2008 Nissan Xterra

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 10:17pm
That's quite encouraging, thank you!  And what a good idea about lining it up and checking it out.  I am surprised you feel the Xterra is wide as I feel the opposite but it is perhaps because I am used to driving the Class B.  

We love to cook and the kitchen setup on the 179 is really nice.  I have been downsizing my kitchen for a year (oh it hurts) and still have some to go.  

How well does it tow up the steep hills?  

Thanks again.

Christine
Looking At RPod 179

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 10:08pm
Looking At RPod 179
CFWARREN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 9:32pm
Well so far, I've had no problem towing my 179 with my 2008 Xterra. 
Before I bought the 179, I picked up a set of mirror extensions, which I ended up taking back, because I found I didn't need them!
What I found out is that the Xterra, being a somewhat wide vehicle, and the Rpod being somewhat narrow, my visibility is great without mirror extensions.
Of course I can't see straight out the back, but visibility of the other lanes and to the side is great.
Before I signed on the dotted line, I asked at the dealership if I could pull my Xterra up right in front of an Rpod, line it up as if it were connected, to check the visibility.  That's what convinced me!
2008 Nissan Xterra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>