Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIntroduction - Christine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Introduction - Christine
    Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 4:25pm
I hope I am putting this in the right spot.  We are not yet Rpod owners but we are seriously considering the 179.  In the past we have had:

handmade trailer with army tent shelter
Class B hightop MH
Winnebago
1993 Chalet Alpine Lite
Current:  1989 Class B Dodge Xplorer which looks not great on the outside, just starting the inside, and just finished getting it to sing and purr as it drives (started this in 2006).

We recently purchased a 2015 Nissan Xterra.  Spent several weeks looking at trailers and visiting forums etc., etc. and thought we could not tow above 300 tongue weight.  Am now confident that because we have the factory installed hitch we can tow max tongue weight of 500 using a weight distribution hitch added to the factory hitch so we are once again considering the Rpod.

I've also read the iffy opinions here and there about the Xterra being not  able to tow it but I think those problems belong to the older "Generation I" models.  Because our (his primary) Xterra is parked in our driveway behind our Class B (my primary everyday car) I thought the Xterra was a really small car height.  Yesterday I was parked around a lot of cars and noticed that except for the full size truck my car was higher or equal to anything else parked around it.  I realize it has the short wheelbase which is another advantage to the weight distribution hitch with sway control.

Are there any Xterra/179 pod owners currently on this forum who would mind telling me their experience beyond the "I brought it home and it drove fine" or "first trip out" - some real meat and potatoes review about pulling it behind the Xterra.  

Also looking at the Rockwood hard side, high wall Aframes because we have owned an Aframe before and love them.  We also know the history of them re problems (Chalet and Aliner) and Rockwood is the only one offering a decent warranty to offset the fear of purchasing another Aframe.

We plan to travel for a year around the country.  Anything after that depends on how the first year went.  We decided for that much travel we wanted a new car, extended warranty, etc. as some insurance.  If we could tow "4-down" like a Jeep we probably would have kept the Class B but that doesn't work with the Xterra and I don't think the Class B should be towing the heavy Xterra.

Have looked at the B.C. Escape, that's one fine trailer but 19' runs $26k and we don't yet know that we want to do this more than a year.  We are still not sure if we want to hope a side out won't cause us a problem we can't handle.  For as much as we want to run out and buy today we are trying to answer all of our questions and concerns BEFORE we buy, unlike our recent car purchase LOL.  (That said, I LOVE this car).

Answers about side out frequency problems also appreciated as we know nothing about them.

Christine
Looking At RPod 179
Currently 1989 Dodge Class B
Former 1983 Chalet Aframe
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 6:54pm
Welcome to the group!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 7:30pm
I have never had the slightest problem with my slide-out in my 2010 176.  I think the newer 179s may have a different slide-out mechanism though.   In any case, I've been reading this forum for 2.5 years and I've heard of very few issues with them.  Anything can go wrong with anything any time, but I really don't think you need to worry about RPod slides.

TT 
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
2015 Red Xterra View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 8:26pm
Thank you!  The side out certainly makes the 179 quite comfortable without being too huge.  If we go with the smaller pods we would at least get the screen room.  We usually have a screen room set up but it would be nice to have that coverage between the door and the screen room that the attachment makes.

Christine
Looking At RPod 179
CFWARREN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 9:32pm
Well so far, I've had no problem towing my 179 with my 2008 Xterra. 
Before I bought the 179, I picked up a set of mirror extensions, which I ended up taking back, because I found I didn't need them!
What I found out is that the Xterra, being a somewhat wide vehicle, and the Rpod being somewhat narrow, my visibility is great without mirror extensions.
Of course I can't see straight out the back, but visibility of the other lanes and to the side is great.
Before I signed on the dotted line, I asked at the dealership if I could pull my Xterra up right in front of an Rpod, line it up as if it were connected, to check the visibility.  That's what convinced me!
2016 179 - Hood River Edition
2008 Nissan Xterra

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 10:08pm
Looking At RPod 179

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 10:17pm
That's quite encouraging, thank you!  And what a good idea about lining it up and checking it out.  I am surprised you feel the Xterra is wide as I feel the opposite but it is perhaps because I am used to driving the Class B.  

We love to cook and the kitchen setup on the 179 is really nice.  I have been downsizing my kitchen for a year (oh it hurts) and still have some to go.  

How well does it tow up the steep hills?  

Thanks again.

Christine
Looking At RPod 179
CFWARREN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 10:25pm
The only long steep grade I've been up was, anyone in Washington State will know this, on I-90 from Vantage to Ellensburg.  And I did fine, I was passing the semi's, and the cars and trucks were passing me.  I did bog down a bit going over Lookout pass, Idaho in to Montana, but that's a steeper grade. 
I'm never in a really big hurry when I'm on vacation anyway, so I usually set the cruise control at about 61 - 62, so I stay ahead of the big trucks, and those who are in a hurry can pass by.  Gas mileage is of course terrible, about 13 mpg, but that's just about what you're going to get with any V6, from what I've seen on here.
2016 179 - Hood River Edition
2008 Nissan Xterra
SNO4ME View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by CFWARREN

Well so far, I've had no problem towing my 179 with my 2008 Xterra. 
Before I bought the 179, I picked up a set of mirror extensions, which I ended up taking back, because I found I didn't need them!
What I found out is that the Xterra, being a somewhat wide vehicle, and the Rpod being somewhat narrow, my visibility is great without mirror extensions.
Of course I can't see straight out the back, but visibility of the other lanes and to the side is great.
Before I signed on the dotted line, I asked at the dealership if I could pull my Xterra up right in front of an Rpod, line it up as if it were connected, to check the visibility.  That's what convinced me!

We use an 07 Colorado to tow our Pod and I have to mess with strap on mirror extensions to pull my capped snowmobile trailer. I don't need the extensions with the Pod, NICE!

Bruce & Donna in the Sno Pod
(and Brewer too)
2011 RP 177

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 10:41pm
I'm reading aloud to hubby (who is post op) and we both feel very encouraged.  I'm like you, slow is fine as long as we don't get caught up with the trucks.  

Now the only main issue is that loud A/C.   Oh well, will only use it when hooked up and in the heat and I am sure the appreciation would outweigh the noise.  

What do you put on your roof?

Christine
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>