R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater heater problems.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water heater problems.
    Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 12:31pm
We just got back from our first trip in our 2015 179, all in all had a great one week holiday in the eastern Kootenays, our 2002 Grand Cherokee towed well and we didn't push it too hard on the steeper climbs. Didn't experience any sway even in some strong cross winds due I think to the Blue ox wdh.  Problems ..    couldn't get the water to flow properly, we followed all the instructions for the initial start up with no joy. Went the weekend without water and then phoned Rangeland rv Balzac on Monday, they informed us that they had probably left one of the valves shut under the bed, so I took the mattress out and unscrewed the wood panels to reveal that the one valve was indeed closed. Opened it up and the water flowed. We are now experiencing problems with the water heater, it worked on and off but now seems to have packed up altogether. The instructions say to ensure that the  hot water tank is full before turning it on, how do you do that?   I hope that my trying to start the water pump with the valve closed hasn't damaged it. I hope also that the hot water heater hasn't been damaged.  I will be phoning the dealer tomorrow. We had a free membership with Coachnet but found that they were only available weekdays and Rangeland weren't any help until Monday.  When we got home we couldn't get the fridge to switch off, I eventually took the control panel out and it then switched off.  Just a few problems to mar an otherwise great first trip but never the less we were told that the pod was ready to go camping with and the problems did waste some of our time. Unfortunately we didn't have a computer with us to contact you guys while we were away, would appreciate any assistance or ideas. Derek and Alison.

Derek H
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 1:59pm
Derek,

There should be three valves near the water heater. For normal operation the one crosswise, connecting the inlet and outlet, should be off (handle perpendicular to pipe). The other two should be on (handle aligned with pipe). None of these should have any effect on the cold water to any cold faucets.

The way to fill the water heater is, with the valves set as above, open a hot faucet and run water until it stops sputtering, indicating all the air is out and the tank is full.  The electric heater element is very fragile and will burn out with even short operation without water in the tank. If you ran the electric side of the water heater without a full tank you probably burned the element out. Try it on propane. The heating element is easily replaced with a part from Lowes or HD.

The pump should not be damaged. Can't say on the fridge except you have to press and hold the button to make it turn off.

As for dealer prep, you should not be surprised. Normal behavior.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 3:02pm
OK, you had hot water, and then didn't? Or you had some hot water, then didn't, then did.. etc?

Lets address that first. If you had hot water at all.. the water heater has water in it. To check, trip the manual pressure relief valve near the top of the WH, outside in the compartment.

If you had fluctuating water temps, or some hot water, then none right away. then next time, same thing.. (and since it's a first time out) your winterization valves are set wrong. Lift the mattress and open the panel above the WH. You will need to remove some screws to do this. On the back of the water heater, there is plumbing, going and coming from the WH. There are 3 valves on that plumbing. The top and bottom ones need to be open, and the center one closed.

Derek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 3:06pm
Hi Charlie,
thanks for your help, so how do I run the water heater on propane ? do I just turn on the propane bottle? How do I choose the water heater to be run on electric? Thanks Derek.
Derek H
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 3:19pm
To run on propane, open propane bottle, go inside the pod, turn on the water heater switch. If you get a DSI fault light, turn off the switch wait 10 seconds, turn it back on. It may need to purge some air in the lines.

To run on electric, hookup to shore power, go to the outside water heater compartment, hidden, down in the lower left corner is a switch, turn it on.
hammockmadness View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 4:19pm
Through the years, I've gotten into the habit of shutting off the electrical switch for the hot water heater everytime I leave a campsite.  Is this necessary since the only way to drain the water heater is to pull the anode?
Dana & Regina
Fleetwood & Jasper
2014 181-G
2014 Silverado 4X4
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by hammockmadness

Through the years, I've gotten into the habit of shutting off the electrical switch for the hot water heater everytime I leave a campsite.  Is this necessary since the only way to drain the water heater is to pull the anode?

I do the same. I mostly do it because at home we have full hookups.. but I am not going to need an emergency shower, so don't want to heat water between trips needlessly..
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 8:26am
I do the same. Go habit!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Derek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 3:48pm
Thanks everyone, because of your help we now have everything working.
Derek and Alison.
Derek H
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 9:26pm
A tip on controlling the electric element, it is easier to leave the outside switch on and use the circuit breaker on the converter to turn it on and off.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply