R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtrailer wire harness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: trailer wire harness
    Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 11:06pm
Just finished camping with our new 2016 179 model.  This question may have been posted before....when taking a right turn, our wire harness pops out from our car!  Anyone else have this problem (other than not taking right turns)?  We turned on the running lights in order to monitor if the plug had pulled.  Thanks!
Mitch & Cindy
2008 Toyota 4 Runner
Rpod 179
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 7:00am
Yes, check to see if you can re-route the plug somehow through the front tongue area to get a little more slack. It's pulling out on the turn because its to tight! You don't need much more, just a few inches. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 8:23am
Your hitch assembly is just a bit longer than "average".. lol

Usually you can find some slack under there if you loosen the clamps. And then shift it a bit forward. How are your safety chains? Often if one is a bit short, so is the other.
TigerPawd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 11:34am
Mountainpod, I had this problem on a previous TT.  I found that I could gain enough length using a carabiner clip - the kind where the loop closes with a screw connection - not just a spring closure.  I didn't intend ever to check to see if the clip was strong enough, but one time when I hit a really rough stretch of road, I found out that the clip was stronger than the retainers on the emergency brake connection.  In other words, things worked as they should. 

If that's not enough length, there are some fairly big carabiners out there, or you could add a second clip. 

I always left the clip on the tow vehicle hitch and that made hook up even easier.
Joan, Jerry and the two Pugs
2015 R-Pod 179
jstrenn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by TigerPawd

Mountainpod, I had this problem on a previous TT.  I found that I could gain enough length using a carabiner clip - the kind where the loop closes with a screw connection - not just a spring closure.  I didn't intend ever to check to see if the clip was strong enough, but one time when I hit a really rough stretch of road, I found out that the clip was stronger than the retainers on the emergency brake connection.  In other words, things worked as they should. 

If that's not enough length, there are some fairly big carabiners out there, or you could add a second clip. 

I always left the clip on the tow vehicle hitch and that made hook up even easier.

Confused  Not sure how carabiner's are gonna solve his problem with the electrical connection on his trailer wire harness....
podenvy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 4:35pm
This happened to us too with our equalizer. Bring it back to the dealer or whoever installed it and tell them to lengthen the wiring. Ours had no slack anywhere to re-route.
2013 FJ Cruiser + 2015 rpod 179 HRE
TigerPawd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 7:02pm
Oooops -  my bad.  I misread and thought the problem was with the safety brake cable pulling out, which was the problem I had.  Sorry.  Ignore the carabiner clips suggestion unless the problem is with the brake cable.  
Joan, Jerry and the two Pugs
2015 R-Pod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply