R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy slide out opens while driving!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JohnBG View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: My slide out opens while driving!
    Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 12:13pm
Yikes! That aint good...
2010 R-Pod RP-171
2010 Honda Ridgeline TV
Jay in Maryland View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 12:02pm
I recently finished a 6 week maiden voyage from MD through the west. On our last day driving east, as we left the campground I experienced a scary malfunction -the slide out came out while i was driving. First time I thought human error (I did not see it coming out), but within 10 minutes it came out again. I pulled the slide motor fuse out to get home. 

Recently I tracked the problem to the switch. I removed the switch face plate screws and pulled it slightly out so it could wiggle when thumped, then I observed my slide out start out/in just by thumbing the side of the switch with my finger nail -That is I was thumping the plastic face plate an inch or more away from the actual button!

The good news is installing a new switch is a relatively easy fix, the bad news is what this says about quality (of a brand new 2015 179) to discover such a potentially catastrophic  failure (think of on coming traffic). I would have expected this switch to be bullet proof in terms of activating the slide out while your bouncing down the road. 

I was at least lucky this occurred on the last day of a long trip.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is this kind of malfunction to be expected in some units,  -is my frustration here an issue of unrealistic newbie expectations about quality?
Jay
r-pod179
05 Tacoma PreRunner
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12