R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPhoto Review of the Quality my 2015 179

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Photo Review of the Quality my 2015 179
    Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 3:08pm
I think I saw it in the right place, no problem.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Commander203 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 8:59pm
Not sure if I put it over in the correct thread, sorry still learning. 
Mike & Erin
2013 Tundra 4.6L V8 (Tow PK)
2006 Honda Goldwing GL 1800
2005 Honda VTX 1800N
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 8:31pm
Yes, $650ish for a comprehensive warranty.  Much better.  You may want to copy your dealer review to the Dealer Review section.
Commander203 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 8:06pm
As stated in my prior post that I would return for a report on my buying experience with RV Nation here in Ohio. We were originally planning on our pick up around the 7th. Our 179 didn't arrive until this morning. 

The service department jumped right to work on prep and we started our walk through at 1pm. Can't say enough good things about the way this purchase went. First let me say there was no mention of completing the sale prior to the prep or walk through. As a matter of fact we were allowed to watch dealer prep prior to our walk through. All persons from Brannon our salesman to Mike our prep/demonstration person in the service department were extremely professional and courteous. One of the other guys in the service department, I assume the service manager, didn't get his name, came by and informed us that if there was anything we were not satisfied with just let him know and it would be taken care of. I am totally satisfied with the buying experience, best I've ever experienced. Not like buying a new car at all. 

Now for the trailer. My wife and I dug really deep based on the information in this review, which by the way was extremely helpful. We found only a couple of the issues that are listed in this review, so thanks for the heads up. Otherwise, watched it being prepped and cleaned really good. Maybe that was because we were present, but a good job was performed. 

Mike did the hitch set up, appears to work just fine from the dealer back to the motel we eventually booked due to being tired of the wife's relatives. I had already installed a P2 brake controller but Mike got in the TV and made a few adjustments and the drive back to motel was great. I had an E2 hitch installed. We will be getting on the road back to Texas around 0500 hrs tomorrow. 

I hope this review of Jeff Couch's RV nation helps someone about deciding whether to purchase from them or not. Now we'll just see how the POD holds up. 

We only had minor dealings with the finance guy as we had a cashier's check for our purchase so can't comment about financing other than he tried really hard to sell us a $1649.00 four year extended warranty. Of course we refused thanks to this forum. I did read here or on the other one about other extended plans that are much cheaper if we decide to purchase one. 

Mike & Erin
2013 Tundra 4.6L V8 (Tow PK)
2006 Honda Goldwing GL 1800
2005 Honda VTX 1800N
Meach View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 3:52pm
So I went to a local dealer in Marietta today to look in more detail at the rpods they had on lot, made a quick stop the other day but today looked in/under/around as best I could, dealer just lets you look thru them as you wish. Looked thru the following models (two of some models - 178,179,183G.  There were several issues I noticed similar to Jays photo. Screws over driven splitting wood strips, trim, etc. screw height on same parts might vary a quarter inch or more, several cosmetic trim pieces barely fastened on, basically just sloppy workmanship, etc.

Was randomly looking over sealant around outside of window on a 179, looked like several inches of sealant missing along one side, look like around top of window someone had put a few inches of silicon after the fact to stop a leak but done sloppily. And these are all new 2016s.

Meach

Meach View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Jay in Maryland

Meach, my prerunner is a v6, if your tacoma is 4 cylnder it could be iffy.

Thw wind does drop your mpg if u get in a hurry. If i stayed around 50 i could approach 15mpg. But u cause trouble on the interstate unless u get up near 65....

Thanks for all the input folks.

I've got the 4.0 L. V6  Yea I was aware of a camper like pulling a sail down the highway.  We're kind of at a transition point when it comes to camping. Think the wife is ready for more comfort both traveling and camping. Have thought about getting a small popup for our motorcycle (currently pull a cargo with tent,gear,etc), we camp with a lot of folks that have em. then could also use her smaller matrix or the truck and still pull it around when weather not the greatest.  Have considered a larger pop-up behind truck (less wt & less wind drag) which then led to considering a small hard body like the rpod. Want to make sure we'll use what ever we get to justify the $, etc.

While traveling around during my recent trip to UP of MI it was a pain to get stuck behind a slow RV with nowhere for them to safely pull over. Folks use the 2 lane highways up there like they are the interstate going 65 - 75 even when speed limit was 55  I saw more LEO's up there more than anywhere else on my trip. On my bike I could slow and pull over on shoulder If I wanted which was fine for a motorcycle but not  RV's when I saw semi's, etc coming up fast behind me. Traffic would be heavy in both directions in the middle of nowhere which made it hard to pass.

I have a brother with a fairly small hybrid TT a couple hours away, I may go pull it around and see how my truck does. Got a brake controller I wanna hook up first, have had it a while just haven't gotten around to fooling with it.  Been having too much fun traveling around on my MC. :)

Meach
Jay in Maryland View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 7:52am
Meach, my prerunner is a v6, if your tacoma is 4 cylnder it could be iffy.

Thw wind does drop your mpg if u get in a hurry. If i stayed around 50 i could approach 15mpg. But u cause trouble on the interstate unless u get up near 65....
Jay
r-pod179
05 Tacoma PreRunner
k4fcp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 7:36am
Absolutely!  I was pulling a Boston Whaler that weighed almost 4,000 lbs. and my R 178 made my Nissan
6 cyinder work much, much harder.  Incidentally, I weighed my 178 with all amenities and it weighs a little over 3,000 pounds.  My wife made me buy an F 150 (v-8) so she wouldn't have to hear the word "torque" on trips.

Rich
2013 R-177
2013 Ford F 150 4X4
(yeah, bought a new truck)!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 7:26am
The killer is the wind resistance (very little is from the weight). Pods are close to the height of your average TT and once you get up to highway speed your mpgs drop off rapidly. 10-12 is average for the pods.
Meach View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 10:06pm
Hey, thanks for quick reply. Bought my truck used, came with hitch (5k lb rating) & flat 4 which was what my boat needed.. Had been using a chevy van to pull boat but it died and thus got a truck. Later I learned more detail about diff. between with or without tow pack, some dealers were known to stick a hitch on em and say it had the "tow package".  The only thing I might add would be a tran. cooler. Looking at getting a camper of some type around 3K add 1k of stuff and I think around 4k won't be too bad.

Man 11 mpg, I'm used to camping on one of my bikes (40 - 45 mpg) just got back from 3500 mi trip up to the UP of MI and back here to GA, Would have to had spent 4 times as much in gas. :(  taking truck/camper, oh well any thing to keep the mrs. happy.

Thanks again, meach
(thanks for welcome also Leo)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>